IE/Firefox

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

IE/Firefox

I'm determined to only use Firefox for my internet needs, which mostly works fine, but when I want to access help files that are stored online, or when I want to add add-ons to openoffice.org, etc, the program automatically opens it with IE anyway! I've uninstalled it from the control panel, and my "default internet explorer" on my start bar has been set to firefox... is there another master control I've missed? I've fumbled through the settings on each program to see if there's anything obvious to fix this, but it's being very stubborn.

Any ideas guys?
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's a default file type definition somewhere - "open files of this type with ...". If hlp files are associated (ooh - there you go - I think its called filetype association) there with IE, then IE it shall be. You need to change that setting, and it's openly accessible - I just can't remember where it is ...

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Your a technical genius, I'll have a look for it! Thank you :mrgreen:

------------------------------------

Found it in Control Panel > Folder options (why file types are in folder options, I don't know...) :shock:

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm not sure if you know (and sorry for sounding patronising if you do...) but you can doanload the IE tab from mozilla add-ons which opens IE only pages in your FF browser. I know it's not exactly what you were after and I'm glad MKG helped becuase I had no idea how to do that and was also wondering!! :happy7:

bye the way, has anyone got the new FF? FF3? no back button... slighly annoying!!
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I didn't know that, and even if I did, it wouldn't be patronising, it would be nice of you to mention :mrgreen:

Although MKG's trick did work for the help files, I've still been having problems opening links from openoffice.org documents and the like in FF, it's using IE automatically (and for a program developed partly to be anti-microsoft, I think that's just daft!) so I'll try your fix tomorrow (I've just finished an essay tonight, I've had enough of details!).

I haven't tried FF3 yet, but if it has no back button, 'tis not for I! My internet connection is usually slow, so going back is much quicker for me than loading up extra pages to get back to where I was. That said (and speaking of add-ons), have you tried using MouseGestures (or similar) to go back without needing a button? It works lovely for me on FF2.

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

havn't tried that! Might have to download it tomorrow!

FF3 is in Beta mode at the moment I'm testing it along with who ever else has downloaded it across the world. I'm using right-click back but it's just annoying no button!!! Although the other features are lovely... I do miss my GoogleToolbar though!!!

Good luck with your essay! all mine are done for the year!!! yay! :cheers:

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

I prefer to use the keyboard when possible and the Backspace key wil most often get you a page back. Perhaps you can use that for a quick alternative to the one-click-back-button. Doesn't work on all pages, though.

Regards, Jandra

AXJ
A selfsufficientish Regular

Brij wrote: I haven't tried FF3 yet, but if it has no back button, 'tis not for I! My internet connection is usually slow, so going back is much quicker for me than loading up extra pages to get back to where I was. That said (and speaking of add-ons), have you tried using MouseGestures (or similar) to go back without needing a button? It works lovely for me on FF2.
Hi there, seems that the latest Release candidate has a back button, see circled in red on screen shot... hope that helps :flower:

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok I feel totally daft now... :oops:

I just installed the latest Beta 5 and yet again i didn't have the back button... so I did a bit of investigating... :oops: I'd somehow turned them off... I didn't even know that was possible!!!

Hit "restore defaults" and hey presto! They're back!! yay!!

Yes... I feel like a twit...

AXJ

aHHH! the wonders of user customizability... There is a whole heap of things you can change in FF using some page of text mark up lurking in the root directory, I forget what iot is called now, but I know it's best not messed with!

A good tip with IE when it starts to go slow, or even not open pages you can reset to 'factory settings' as well, amazingly it cures most problems. It is under "internet options" panel, advances, button at the bottom.

Where did you find this in FF?

I must say that the new version of FireFox (3 Release Candidate) is blisteringly fast, it has changed the way it handles CSS slightly, so it is fortuitous that I chanced upon this thread (as I was oblivious to the new FF) so I can test a pure CSS site I am building in it, there was a glitch, thanks very much super.Niki for unwittingly saving me a lot of time and frustration :cheers:

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

Umm... I think I right clicked where the home icon was and selected customise and the restore factory settins is under there!

Glad I could help, allbeit unknowingly!! I do love the new FF but I miss the google Toolbar sooooo much!! Can't wait for them to update it!! I need autofill back!!

Shirley

I'm just test driving the flock browser which seems to be pretty good indeed. Powered by Mozilla it's like firefox but really useful for particular sites eg flickr as it integrates more fully with that. It seems ok on other sites too but I'll try it for a while before ditching firefox.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

AXJ

Shirlz wrote:I'm just test driving the flock browser which seems to be pretty good indeed. Powered by Mozilla it's like firefox but really useful for particular sites eg flickr as it integrates more fully with that. It seems ok on other sites too but I'll try it for a while before ditching firefox.
(Firefox is the definitave Mozilla) I had a look at Flock when it first hit the highway, all much of a muchness really, Flock was launched last year as being the ultimate WEB2.0 browser, (based on FF of course). I thought it was a bunch of geeks jumping onto the bandwagon as quick as they could, but that was a year or so ago.

I am very interested in what you think of it, I have five or six browsers installed, I have no choice.

Opera has been a great trend setter, there have been some excellent features that were Opera exclusive which have now perculated into the main stream browsers, hats off to Opera. The bigest browser in North / North East Europe.

TorrPark (now slightly defunct), excellent for anonymous browsing, based of firefox, but genuinely useful.

Gawd, I was hoping that the browser wars were over last century, but for some reason they just can't stop fecking with each other. The browsers are like the middle east of the internet, a rocket attack here, a slow check point there, a few houses bulldosed etc. In the case of the launch of IE, an entire region invaded by a crap administration. At the end of the day no-one is happy, especially the web developers.

Please keep us posted on the 'Flock' experience (I am sure it was named by a dyslexic) :flower:

Shirley

I'm loving Flock so far.. it seems to do everything that Firefox does... and is so far compatible with all the greasemonkey scripts that I've needed to use... and the best bit for me is the integration with flickr! It makes keeping up with my contacts so much easier.

There is an option to add the various search engines and feeds that you 'happen upon' while browsing the web - I'm mainly using this for flickr but you are prompted whenever the opportunity arises!

Thumbs up so far!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

AXJ

Thanks for the headz up, much appreciated :cooldude: