Speaking of sweet potatoes...

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Speaking of sweet potatoes...

...as I just was to Clara, my mother surprised me on the weekend with a veritable sack of the things! Apart from the obvious potato type things I could make, I'm planning on attempting farls and rosti. But this will still leave me with many many more (especially since I already had some at home before she gave them to me!). All recipe ideas welcome!

Oh! I was thinking maybe of making a carrot cake, but with sweet potato instead of the carrot :lol: Does anyone have a good carrot cake recipe? Preferably one without dried fruits and with walnuts lol.

And I just thought of this as I was about to send (I know its the wrong section) but could I make sweet potato wine? Thats probably a silly question...what I mean is, does anyone know of it being done before, and if so, any tips? :mrgreen:
Harm None!

kiwirach
Living the good life
Living the good life

cant help on the wine question.

the americans make sweet potato pie!. i'm sure you'd find a recipe via google.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just roast them and cover them in butter and a slab of cheddar, then stick them under the grill for a few minutes. :love5:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I cook them cut into rounds or chunks, oven baked in a separate pan to whatever meat we are having. If my sister in law is coming to eat I add some brown sugar 'cos she loves them that way.

My mum swears by oven chips, sweet potato style. cut into wedges, coat in a mixture of light oil, garlic, salt and paprika powder and bake until tender, turning every now and again.

My gran adds boiled, mashed SP to pastry to reduce the amount of flour.

I like them grated and added to home made coleslaw along with the usual suspects of carrot, cabbage and onion.

Finally, they are a valuable addition to my roast veg medly- again served to sister and brother in law in lieu of a meat roast. Cut a load of root veg into chunks, coat lightly in a mix of light oil, dried oregano, corriander leaf (must be fresh), chopped red or green chilli, cardamom and lemon juice. cook until tender, stirring every now and again.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

I was going to say roasted in with other veggies but MrsFlibble beat me to it :mrgreen:

I made a rather yummy bake recently as we had loads of sweet potatoes, carrots & regular potatoes. I sliced them all up thinly (using a mandolin which my mum gave me but a knife works too :wink: ), then layered them in a shallow dish - SPs, then carrots, then spuds, repeat until no veg (or room - in which case make an extra dish of it up to freeze!), then pour a mix of veg stock & olive oil over the top. Bake & eat. Yummy yummy

:flower: Ratty
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

Brilliant, thanks everyone! The coleslaw and the bake sound especially promising!
Harm None!

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I love them roasted too! Here in Japan you can buy a roasted one as snack food or in the supermarket for tea.

Yesterday I had sweet potato apple pie too. It was pastry on the bottom, a sweet potato mash on top of the pastry, then a layer of apples on top of that and a lattice pastry on the top.

It was quite tasty although the sweet potato bit was a little stodgy. However, lots of people over here love them so might be worth a try.

caroleiw
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Speaking of sweet potatoes...

Why not make a soup - I like sweet potato and red pepper or Sweet potato, squash and ginger. Really easy and very very tasty and freezes well.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Speaking of sweet potatoes...

I've got a great recipe for sweet potato pasties which I got from a vegan website, if you're interested.
Maggie
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin