Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
loopyloop
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

Random question from a newbie - I know. Just wondering where people get their topsoil from? Have put in a couple of raised beds in the garden and they are in need of more soil but I think bagged compost would work out quite expensive... what do you think? Help! :?

Many thanks

Captain Caveman
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Wouldn't have a clue.
You can buy it in trucks and get it delivered but thats for huge areas I think. Bagged compost would be OTT and expensive with lots of plastic bags being used. Compost is fine for planting seeds etc but also often uses peat which is not sustainable and damages the landscape. Believe me, the bags may seem big and heavy but once you spread it out, it goes very quickly

The best would be to get muck from an animal owner, otherwise you can use leaf-mould, grass cuttings but these will take time to rot in well, so you cant plant in immediately unless they are well rotted already

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the thing with raised beds, maybe, is to raise them over a couple of years or so - unless you have ready access to lots of topsoil or garden compost. We have LOADS of compost, but it didn't go very far when I started to spread it onto our new raised bed - and that's just a single one.

When you put stuff into the raised bed, use transplants which come with their own compost wrapping. After a few weeks, start to feed the plants (with more compost). Every time a new plant goes in, it's more compost. At the beginning of next year, you'll hopefully have a load more compost from the garden which can be put onto the raised bed ... you see where this is going.

You can also chuck on leaf mould or loam from lawn clippings, or any other bulk organic material. It may take time, but it avoids the rather excessive expense of doing it all in one go ... and you'll still get veggies.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

In between your raised beds you'll have paths, which don't need their topsoil any more... So you could dig up the top layer of them and chuck it into the beds! That will at least give you something to get on with. And then compost, muck, and everything else that's already been mentioned.
Last edited by ina on Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Ellendra

Look for a construction site, ask for their topsoil. They have to scrape it away from where they're building anyway, and some would be glad to let you do the hauling.

loopyloop
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks very much for your replies.... its nice being able to 'pick a few brains'! :lol:

Will bear it all in mind and will keep a look out.

Thanks

johnhcrf
Living the good life
Living the good life

Compost to the max garden, veg/fruit peel, food waste. Grow your own soil.
Bin Waste - 4 weeks - 3.25oz
52 weeks - 2.64lb est.

eccentric_emma

I often see topsoil going on freecycle so perhaps check on there?
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Gravel merchants often have a 'soil' section. For instance, my local man here in Norfolk sells Breckland light, sounds like a beer.
By the truck load delivered. Will find a link.
Leave only footprints..take only photographs and wabbits.

Archie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

No local link, and Googling brings up the expensive bagged stuff.
Landscape gardeners must get it from somewhere, the same place where they get fancy gravel and pavers.
Leave only footprints..take only photographs and wabbits.

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

find a local stable they will usually give it away as it costs them approx£300 for 10m3 to be removed also go for the back of the heap as this will be well rotted and may be some of the best soil you will find.
alternatively google "wonder worms" and ask them for a local supplier or become a worm farmer your self :shock: they are very helpful

try hard mean well never give up

Captain Caveman

I went to a local farm this weekend. They have a manure pit which is 5m wide, over 2m high and 20m long. And it was full of sh*t! Well rotted as the far end had been there for years and there were millions of tiger worm type things - the kind you buy on-line for your wormery

I have an unlimited supply of rotted manure!!!!
He even lent me his 4WD and trailer!!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Where are you loopyloop? Round here you can buy Warrior compost. It's the stuff that's made at the local dump and is delivered by the ton. I paid about £30 for one ton delivered last year. It took me (ahem ok it took my lodger) a day to move it from the front drive to the far end of the garden but it was worth it as it half filled my big raised bed.

Zoe

Redman
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Topsoil - where do you get yours from?!

loopyloop wrote:Random question from a newbie - I know. Just wondering where people get their topsoil from? Have put in a couple of raised beds in the garden and they are in need of more soil but I think bagged compost would work out quite expensive... what do you think? Help! :?

Many thanks
You could try your local council recycling depot, the one up the road from me lets you take away as much compost/topsoil as you need for free.

:cheers:

Redman

ashamomodablam
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

freecycle