101 ways to make house warmer for winter

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

101 ways to make house warmer for winter

(my flat is freezing already and its only september so need some ideas - preferably free ones :lol: )

1. thick curtains - line with old blankets
2. make draft excluders for bottom of doors with old fabric [/b]

hamster
A selfsufficientish Regular

3. Put tinfoil behind radiators that are on outside walls to reflect the heat back into the room.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

red

4. keep a nice blankie on the back of the sofa.. when watching tv, pull blankie over your and OH's laps and snuggle

5. put draft proofing stuff around gappy windows
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

6. To add to the warmth of said blankie (I am a big blankie fan :lol: ) add a big hairy cat on top for extra warmth. :mrgreen:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

This morning it is so cold in my house I can see my breath... it is frrrrrreeeezzzing. E is not happy at all :cry: :cry: :cry: but she is off to grandparents while I try to come up with enginious ways of keeping warm and cosy despite the builders :( ... I am not doing very well... off to cut holes in bedroom ceiling to stick insulation in beteen joists :( :( :( I have yet to buy the insulation :( anyone know of a free way to geet insulation?
No grants are available to hardworking families, so we are currently putting it all on creditcards. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I take it you have already checked the grant situation? Some buildings are covered and there are grants for insulation from time to time from the local council which give reduced price insulation.

Soft furnishings help as they store heat. Carpets are better than laminate and tiles. Try wall hangings on the walls, and fabric sofas are better than leather ones. Obviously changing the 3-piece isn't a cheap option but something to consider if you are going to replace it in the future.

Borrow or freecycle loads of rugs to put on the floor (even on top of carpet as heat will still be lost downwards).

Finally it is possible to get free insulation. Someone I know insulated their house with insulation ripped out of an old cold store. It was fantastic stuff and really clean. The main problem with second hand insulation is that it is usually filthy.

Why do you need to poke holes in the ceilings? Can't you get into your loft?

Zoe

Thomzo

Millymollymandy wrote:6. To add to the warmth of said blankie (I am a big blankie fan :lol: ) add a big hairy cat on top for extra warmth. :mrgreen:
And then the laptop while you are logging into Ssish! Makes typing a bit difficult as said cat insists on sitting half on the keyboard. I have to keep peering around her ears to see the screen and moving her paws/tail/runny nose off the keyboard :roll:

Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thomzo wrote:I take it you have already checked the grant situation? Some buildings are covered and there are grants for insulation from time to time from the local council which give reduced price insulation.

Why do you need to poke holes in the ceilings? Can't you get into your loft?

Zoe

We have tried the council, EST, clearskies, etc for all grants but we don't have the criteria...we don't have cavity walls, we don't get lower income child tax credits, we don't get income support or disability living allowance, JohnM makes enough to allow me to stay at home to bring up E but that means we are not elligible for much :( When we applied for a council grant to get the dry rot dealt with we were told that we would invalidate our claim if we had the work done, and it could take up to a year to process the application :banghead:

The bedrooms are in the attic with another section of loft accesible from a hatch at the side of the house... but the bedrooms have been badly put in and there is no access to the roof void. Not helped by the fact that the roofers have buggered off today and left just an underlay on the roof.

Turned out that I was to check the hotwater tank first anyway, which is another nightmare. I got too depressed and cold so I have decided to go and make a chickpea casserolle for dinner... at least the oven can heat me up for a while.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Thomzo

Annpan wrote:We have tried the council, EST, clearskies, etc for all grants but we don't have the criteria.
Oh what a bummr! I only asked cos the local council here were doing a discounted insulation offer last year and it was open to anyone.

That is a pain about the bedrooms. Rooms in lofts can be freezing if they are not insulated properly. You have my full sympathy. I have been there before.

I once had a bathroom with a big hole in the ceiling. Straight up to the sky! If it rained we had a brilliant shower :cheers:

Keep your chin up. It'll be worth it in the end.

Zoe

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers Zoe

I don't usually get very depressed, just when I stand and look at the mess. We are luck in that so far our bedrooms are still sealed (as it were) so we can keep them clean and tidy. The rest of the house looks like a bomb site.

7. Does setting your house alight count as keeping warm? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

Annpan wrote: We have tried the council, EST, clearskies, etc for all grants but we don't have the criteria..
the grants system seems totally stupid! I've been told i can get one just because my flat is housing association despite meeting the income requirements. U would have thought more people in housing association/ council flats are likely to need the insulation and not be able 2 afford it :roll:

ina

No - but plenty of chili in your chickpea casserole - one of my ways of making me feel warmer in winter! Oh, and any excuse for a hot toddy, or mulled wine. :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chickpea casserole kept the kitchen lovely and warm while I tidied up a little, I had forgoten how cold the rest of the house was - I put loads of cumin and corriander in it, so lovely and warming.

It is madness that the rules for grants are so crazy, you'd think that they wanted you to freeze, or bankrupt yourself keeping warm :roll:

Still it'll be Spring soon..... :lol:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

ina

My house is freezing, too - and since it's not my own (tied cottage), there's not much I can do but nag the folks who should be doing something about it!
Oh how I hate that... :roll:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

smile_sunshine
Tom Good
Tom Good

8. hot water bottles (doesnt warm the house but warms me!)
9. lots of jumpers and a hat

sorry ur houses are so cold ina and annpan