are wormeries worth it?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

are wormeries worth it?

I dont have one - are they good? whats the advantage over a compost heap?

I know someone who got a wormery -b ut it seemed very complicated mustn't give them this, must fee d them - must drain off worm wee - they went on hols and the instructions were misunderstood by the house sitters and the worms all drowned.... :cry:

so - are they good or are they hassle?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

For a shop-bought kit, they're not worth the money. I bought one about 10 years ago and it cost me about GBP10 which was a fair price. The worms came free - you had to send off a coupon and they were returned in the post.

Nowadays, you can buy them for GBP 80, which is a rip off. I think they're in vogue with the Yummy Mummy brigade, so consequently the prices have moved with the demographic.

However.....

It is very easy to make your own, in which case, they are a very good idea, especially in town gardens. They make compost quicker than a compost heap, take up less space, the resultant liquid and actual compost is far higher in nutrients for plants, and you can put more (variety) in them than in a normal compost heap. Add to that that you get free bait for fishing, and kids love worms, and it's a winning recipe in my mind.

eek
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I had one for years. Just got a 50 gallon plastic box and 2 lids. I drilled little drain holes in the bottom for the wee and bigger holes around the top edge for aeration. Put a top on the top, used the other top on the bottom to catch the wee and pour it on plants like liquid fertilizer.

Kept it on the back porch and had no problems with fruit flies or smells. Incredibly easy and lots of quick compost. I highly recommend!

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've been reading up and plan to make a wormery this year.

if you decide to go ahead, post here and I'll try to 'cut and paste' the instructions for a DIY one that costs next to nothing! (not terribly good at computer stuff though so patience may be required :wink: )

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have recently made one based on a bath. Seems to be working well. :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

flower wrote:I've been reading up and plan to make a wormery this year.

if you decide to go ahead, post here and I'll try to 'cut and paste' the instructions for a DIY one that costs next to nothing! (not terribly good at computer stuff though so patience may be required :wink: )

I would love to read those instructions flower if you have time to post them up on here.

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

okidoke, I'll give it a whirl :lol:

ok, having issues! :oops:
but I can direct you to where I saw it!

go to Allotments 4 All (handy link on 'ss-ish homepage)
go to the forum and click on 'Basics'
the thread is titled 'building a wormery' and about halfway down the page, someone called 'kenkew' has posted really good instructions with step by step photographs.

sorry I couldn't post an easier link!
but it's a particularly good guide, so worth the trek! :cooldude:

Flingdizz
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I think wormeries are great and I would definitely recommend one!
However word of warning if you are making your own- make sure there are no gaps for the worms to escape. The morning after I got mine, I found dried worms all over the house....they had gone miles! But after the new batch got used to life in the wormery, I havent had any problems!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Yeah that happened to me too. I made one out of a large paint tub. I left the top lose to allow air in and a few got out. Now I've punched holes in the lid instead. Too small for them to get through.

Zoe