What now?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What now?

I planted 2 rhubarb crowns, one blackcurrant, redcurrant and gooseberry bushes last winter and followed the pruning guidlines at planting time.
So far this year, I've cleared the last leaves on the rhubarb and slightly cut back the drooping branches of the gooseberry that were almost touching the ground. What pruning do I need to do before my (fingers crossed) first crop next year? Should I do anything to the rhubarb?

Thanks

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What now?

Put a bit of compost or well-rotted muck over the rhubarb if you have it, otherwise leave well alone. You can leave the old leaves as a mulch to protect the crown from frost. Hopefully you left it alone this spring/summer, and next year you should feed well and crop lightly. That will give you the best long-term cropping from the crowns.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you've binned the old rhubarb leaves,no worries,just cover the crown with a bit of straw,or similar to get the same effect as George suggests.Re the guzgogs,they dont need major pruning,classically you are trying to get a Wine glass shape,long term(i.e. open out the middle),as this helps air circulate,keeping down mildew,and makes picking a bit less prickly.But in truth if you just remove dead and diseased bits and anything going bonkers(like your touching the ground thing)that will do,especially when they are young.BWs.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Where gooseberries touch the ground they root fairly reliably.. you might want to leave one or two of these branches and pin them to the ground (a big stone will do the trick) and you can increase your soft fruit orchard very quickly.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thank you both for the tips!
I was good last year and didn't pick any of the rhubarb :p a few months to wait and yum yum yum...

Another newbie question, I haven't touched the bronze fennel and it's still standing, all alone in the bed... do I have to cut it back before next spring?

marshlander

Bronze fennel, yes cut down to about 3". Should come up next year but can be a short lived perennial. Watch out for seedlings some may come true but most will revert to common green. Blooming things come up everywhere are are the devil to dig out once established.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey