health worries?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

health worries?

does any one else worry about their health and how diet and lifestyle can affect it, and what are you doing about it?

iv made a 'wacky' decision not to eat anything that comes plastic.
once we get our animals this will be much easier to do so this is more somthing i aspire to achieve.
seeing that most things in plastc packaging are not good for you, i decided to stay away and just to eat natural foods that i can produce myself.

we already produce all our own fruit and veg so that not an issue.
things that we cant produce are things like cooking oil, which comes in plastic bottles and too much of is bad for you. so once we get the goats ill be making butter and can either use butter instead of oil or not use anything at all.
flour is another thing we cant produce because we dont have enough land and its not cost effective. but flour comes in paper packaging so that's alright.
same goes for sugar, although we're concidering getting bees then i can substitute honey for sugar.
salt is a tricky one though, need to find salt in a bio-degradible packaging.

in my mind most foods that come in plastic are not so good for you, plus plastic is not good for the enviroment.
im paranoid about getting cancer or other diet and lifestyle related illnesses.

my grandfather is over weight and has lived with diabitis along with a multitude of other diet/weight related illnesses. he has had strokes and he has lymphoma his legs are all swollen and he has a crushed spinal disk and damaged nerve which makes him unable to walk. he also has cancer and i know his diet is not helping. i try to tell him how processed meat is a carcinogen and fruit and veg are cancer inhibitors but he says hes gonna die anyway and he wants to eat what he likes. i feel so sad when i see how he is struggleing on a day to day basis and i have an imence fear of ending up like this. if he was slim and ate healthily most of his health problems wouldnt have occured and he would be enjoying a much better quality of life.

i also try to keep busy and active. not going to the gym, but running arround after the kids and doing the house work and working in the garden.
i dont touch tobacco and i rarely drink alcohol.
i also worry about air pollution from cars/factories. we live in macedonia and there are not regulated properly, they pour untreated sewage into the rivers and lots of places are so polluted that nothing will grow. iv heard horror stories of a certain town where there was big polluting factories and the babies were being born all deformed :shock:

what about everyone else? do you fear how your lifestyle will effect your future health?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

happyhippy

Re: health worries?

Hi Demi,Firstly sorry to hear about your Grandfathers health issues.Must be quite worrying for you,and somewhat frustrating.I have the same problem with my Mum.I guess they get set in their ways which is a shame.In answer to your question though,I don't worry about my own health.Luckily I don't need to as(touch wood)I have been quite healthy all my life.I did used to smoke(gave up 13 yrs ago)and during my younger days did drink a fair amount of alcohol too.I guess now I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle,and working full time its not always easy either.I eat well,drink plenty of water,practice yoga and walk alot and really thats all I can do.I try not to become too stressed,usually go with the flow on most things.My Mum as I said has alot of health issues but she has had a completely different lifestyle to me so I never worry that I will end up like her.You can only do your best.

Big Al

Demi,

Don't worry about your grandfather, He's old enough to know and as he says he is going to gie sooner or later. I was paranoid about health and dieing, not anymore.

Sadly if you eat anything these days there will be a side effect to it. Rear your own meat and you can get blue ear in pigs, Scrapies in sheep, BSE in cattle, Salmonella in chickens, goatpox in goats etc so don't eat meat.
High levels of PCB's in sea food including all the oily fish we are supposed to eat for health issues.
Tea and coffee raises blood preasure and is also bot an anti depresent and a depressive substance.
Hydroginated oils and fats, too much sugar, fat, salt, alcohol.....

""TOXIC chemicals have been found on fruit given to millions of schoolchildren every day under a Government healthy-eating scheme.

Three quarters of the fresh produce provided free to youngsters is contaminated with potentially harmful pesticides, tests revealed yesterday. Apples, bananas and pears were among the most polluted."" "" Daily Express 2007""

Food in plastic, Toxins and PCB's in food in recycled paper and cardboard all pose health risks.

The list goes on and on.

The thing is to realise that one day you are born without your consent, one day you will die of something, probably shortage of breathe or if you live long enough Cancer will be the thing that gets you because it is the one disease that has so many variables but in men it's prostate cancer and in women it's ovarian and breast cancer. In between birth and death you make the choices and take it as everything in moderation and you will be ok.

If you are an old git like me (50) then you will remeber people in the 60's and 70's who died of heart attacks and cancer. Now you know people who will die of heart attacks and Cancer but you also know that you can help slow that down by eating a diet rich in certain things and low in other things.

Without the mass bombardment of your senses by the media, all with an axe to grind, you will one day die. Until then try not to worry, be happy with what you have now, keep going on a moderate food intake that is varied and takes in all the food groups and you will be ok.

Personally all health problems are the same from Ingrown toe nails to cancers. They are all problems and all can be treated. Those that fail treatment are just a quick realease mechanism to the next life.

I hope the frankness doesn't upset anyone but death doesn't bother me, in fact I'd quite welcome my next re birth without aall this pain.

BA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

demi

death does scare me but its inevitable and theres nothing that can be done about it.
what i find more worrying though is becoming ill and deteriorating over a long period of time before eventually dieing.
i feel the more i can do to prevent the likleyhood of that happening the better.
which is why i think its best to only eat what i can produce myself, organic fresh fruit, veg, nuts, meat, dairy and eggs. im concidering producing flour but it might not be cost effective.
its a dream to be able to completly produce everything we eat ourselves, making it into a reality might be difficult though.

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Big Al

Actually wheat production is viable. Half of a 440sq yd allotment will produce enough wheat for a years flour for a family of 4. Your difficulty will be getting the seed in the first place as i think there are EEC restrictions on small scale production. I also think there is a way to use wheat specifically for animal feed as this is sold in smaller bags. The only difference is the quality of the wheat that in there/ 1st grade wheat is sold for flour and as it gets poorer and poorer it goes down the chain to animal feed.

Not 100% sure of the above but virtually sure. At least it will give you a pointer to look for. HTH

BA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

demi

thats just over 350m2, i thought it would be much more. and we are a family of 4.
well we might give it a go. but same as for producing sugar, need to factor in the cost of processing to get the final product. will probably need to invest in equipment to do so.
getting a hold of the seeds shouldnt be a problem, my mother in law is a professor at the agricultural collage and shes allways working on developing new varietys of crops :)

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

we use Panela/rapadura instead of processed sugar- it is apparently just dehydrated cane juice maybe easier than refining sugar?
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

In case any else is interested, here are some links to suppliers of small quantities of seed wheat (scroll down a bit):
http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/bake_your_lawn/
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only thing i really worry about is drinking enough (not alcohol).

I don't have the feeling of thirst - never have. If i don't remember to drink, i can go a day on a cup of tea.

If i don't drink, then my kidneys get annoyed and give me an attack of urticaria. The first time it happened, it put me in hospital. SO now, i try to have a drink around all the time to remind me to drink.

happyhippy

Demi try not to worry too much about what will happen in the future.You can't control it so don't worry yourself over it.My daughter(who is only 25)recently told me she was worried about dying,and that she had never given it second thought until she had kids.I'm twice her age and I still don't worry about it! :iconbiggrin: What will be will be.None of us know when that time will come.Best to focus your thoughts on the "Now"time,and it'll put your life back into perspective!