Potatoe Help Please!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
chris34
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Potatoe Help Please!

Hey guys

First off can I say this forum looks great and hope I can contribute a bit in the future but today I need some help :oops:

I have some Maris Pipers and King Edwards planted in my garden and the few flowers that were on them have died so though I would have a look and see if there were any big enough to eat (probably bit early for these varieties??) anyhow there were a few but when I washed them I found there were quite a few brown spots/crack type spots on the surface of the potato what is it?? and is it a major problem??

Thanks for your help

niknik
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Potatoe Help Please!

welcome to the forum. how about popping over to the welcome section and introducing yourself :iconbiggrin: hre´s a link

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=17

As for the potatoes. I don´t know........ someone will be along shortly I´m sure with the answer!

i did look for my veg expert book.but not where it should be !, the only thing that comes to mind, because of the cracks, is maybe insufficent water on a regular basis, then loads at once......... but that just a guess

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you can post a pic that would be ideal... sounds like scab??? (found in my veg expert book :wink: ) there are lots of different diseases and problems that can affect potatoes, but, in my experience, many of them are only skin deep and your crop may well be fine. If it is scab, they will be fine, just need peeling.

Do the leaves show any sign of disease?
Are the potatoes soft or spongey at all?
Any sign of beasties in them?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agree - at first hearing, I'd go for scab - the most common cause (AFAIK) is under-watering. Usually, it's more a cosmetic problem than anything else. If you get a bad case, however, the tubers can rot (I'm told - I've never seen a bad case).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

chris34
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for your help have now included a picture

Leaves are slightly yellow as if dying off but nothing major!!

chris34
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

After reading your responses did some research;

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/potatoscab.htm

Looks like my King Edwards have fallen victim on a very light soil and where I have grown brassicas aswell before so could also be a cause cant think its lack of water as they have been religously watered!

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yep, sure looks like scab. Lime in the soil is the normal cause. If it's had old builder's rubble on the garden that will cause it worst on all - also bonfire or woodburner ash which many people think is good for the garden.
The good news is they are fine to eat, just need peeling.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

I normally get a bit of scab on my potatoes and have never taken any notice (not even peeled them as I'm not worried about the skin texture, maybe nipped off the worst). This year I had a nasty surprise, assuming the little dark spot was a bit of scab I ignored it, didn't peel, cut into the spud on my plate and there was a slug inside! I don't normally get slug problems in spuds but very glad I saw as I was eating while watching telly and could ahve missed it :shock:
Just Do It!

Millymollymandy

I have scab on mine every year, it's par for the course if you live in a dry climate. With new potatoes just scrape it off with your fingernails and it'll come off really easily.

Our maincrops had them and we didn't bother about peeling the ones we wanted to bake, and you'd never have noticed any difference.

Hopefully mine won't be so bad this year as I've had seep hoses on them all, but there's still a bit of scab on the earlies, but minor.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Peggy Sue wrote:I normally get a bit of scab on my potatoes and have never taken any notice (not even peeled them as I'm not worried about the skin texture, maybe nipped off the worst). This year I had a nasty surprise, assuming the little dark spot was a bit of scab I ignored it, didn't peel, cut into the spud on my plate and there was a slug inside! I don't normally get slug problems in spuds but very glad I saw as I was eating while watching telly and could ahve missed it :shock:
:shock: :pukeright: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Peggy Sue

I knew that would amuse you MMM!
Just Do It!