Sun tracking solar panel

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
solarwind
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Sun tracking solar panel

Having installed 800 watts of solar panels on a south facing pitched roof, it seems that a sun tracking solar panel would be considerably more efficient in direct sunlight. I have constructed a panel containing 10 x 40 watt modules approximately 1.4 x 2.8 mtrs. I intend to mount the panel on a rotational axis parallel to that of the earth with a tilt mechanism to cater for winter/summer adjustments. If anyone has tried this before I would appreciate any lessons which might have been learnt.

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Sun tracking solar panel

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

solarwind

Welcome Solarinstallation to 'ish and thank you for your input. Whilst I concede that clean environmentally safe energy will only take off when it eventually becomes commercially viable for the majority, my own personal motivation is the dual satisfaction of knowing that all the electricity generated contributes to "saving the planet" and that I did as much of the construction of the installation as I could, myself.

greenorelse
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

solarwind: have you seen that book Do It Yourself 12 Volt Solar Power by Michel Daniek? Here's the contact details. A fascinating little book - which also includes plans for a solar-powered solar panel tracking device.

When mounting solar panels on the ground (on a frame or whatever) two things: kids and wind!

solarwind

Greenorelse : Thanks for that, no I haven't read it, and although I use a 120 volt setup some parts will no doubt be relevant. One of my major concerns is to ensure that the construction is sufficiently substantial to survive the winds up here. Fortunately the kids have grown up and flown the nest. I'll schedule a visit to the library when I next venture to the big city. Thanks again.

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

There is a fantastic sun tracker in that book. Very simple to build and no electronics really

I have searched the net for anything similar and there is very little

It is genius
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment