Tired of no electricity (whine)

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Tired of no electricity (whine)

It is now more than 48 hours since our electricity went out, and it's getting rather tiresome! We had a big wind storm that knocked out power all over the region. Naturally, the Hydro crews are concentrating on the big city outages first. Our little circuit with 10 customers is way down the priority list. They are guessing that they might have it fixed by this afternoon. I'll believe that when I see it.

We are "ish" enough that I had lots of fuel on hand for the generator. Actually, I probably had too much. Even stabilized, it has a limited shelf life, so it is good to burn it off before it gets unusable. It was more than a year old. I run the generator about four times a day for a couple of hours, to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

I'm also glad I had a chainsaw to open the road and the neighbour's driveway. The Hydro crews scold us for cutting trees off the power lines (yeah, it's risky), but the only thing worse then not having power is not being able to get out of the house.

I got a laptop computer a couple of years ago specifically so that I can run it off the generator at times like this.

I guess I'll go and plant some seeds in the garden now, one of the few things that I can do without power. It really shows how dependent we are on electricity that there's so little to do when it is out. (Note to self: gotta work on that!)

[/whine]

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tired of no electricity (whine)

I know what you mean Keith.
I get ratty when the Internet ceases to work, as it often does here being microwave from a local mountain top.
Strange thing is I spent the first 10 years of my youth with no electricity, no television, no Internet, no computers, nothing that we take for granted nowadays.
We had paraffin lamps and a valved radio that ran off an accumulator, and that was it.
Now I get ratty when the Internet ceases to work ... oh, I already said that. :iconbiggrin:

Hope you get re-connected soon. :salute:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

A few years ago, I lived near where they were building the Second Severn Bridge. At least once a week they would cut through the power cables for at least a day. It was quite nice for the first few hours but soon got tedious and that was before I had Ish. I would feel extremely cut off if I couldn't Ish when I wanted to.

Hope it's working by now.

Zoe

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh, that's pretty shit. but at least it's a good dress rehearsal for when oil hits $300/barrel. I think we all need power outages to keep us aware of the fallacy of energy security. Christ, if we had them on a more regular basis, at least the wife would think a few PV panels would be more important than a new bathroom. :roll:

(although one look at our bathroom and I think many people would concur with la Contadina :oops: :iconbiggrin: )

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Yay, finally, they got the power line reconnected, after 58 hours off! :cheers:

I suppose I should be happy that we got a repair crew at all on Easter Sunday, but, lordy, what a crew! The guy in the bucket truck was an apprentice, with a very P.O.ed foreman on the ground supervising him. The repairs on our street, that would have taken a professional crew an hour at most to complete took four hours! :angryfire: Every hour or so, my wife would send me out to see how far they had gotten.

Oh, well, things are back to normal. :iconbiggrin: