Lack of allotments or a lack of use of existing plots?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lack of allotments or a lack of use of existing plots?

Is anyone finding numbers of allotment plots have been taken on by people who have never even worked on them? I went to see a potential allotment plot a few weeks ago, the bloke who showed me around pointed out several plots that have been taken and people have paid for them but never did any work on them at all. There was one where they'd been and planted up but never came back and had left what did grow to rot in the ground.
Here where I am there are pretty long waiting lists for some of these allotments (this one isn't even local, I'd have to travel half an hour to get there by bus). Some of the plots are in such a state they'd need extensive weeding and such. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding the allotments being unkempt. I know some places have them.
I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this kind of behaviour. Does it happen where you are, are there any rules about this sort of thing where you are. It doesn't make sense when there are waiting lists. I'm now waiting to see who does or doesn't pay for this year to see if I have a plot or not.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Lack of allotments or a lack of use of existing plots?

It's been a long time since I had an allotment. (Back in the mid 1990's). But I recall the same thing being an issue then.

I knew a chap who had taken on some - and didnt work them. He said that he had them because, otherwise, the council would say that no-one was interested and sell the plot for building. That being the case, I think he was doing the right thing.

But why people would do it when there is a waiting list I cant imagine. :scratch: But from what I remember there is/should be a bye-law which says that taken plots ought to be worked - or given up.

So you might want to go and check that out?
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

Squirrel46
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Lack of allotments or a lack of use of existing plots?

The chap who had my plot before me did nothing at all, his excuse was that he didn't have a spade and fork. Tools were offrered, but he had to be given his marching orders!
With a waiting list, our allotment commitee is pretty keen to get rid of people who take a plot and do nothing. Some of the site's dinosaurs have had a wake up call as well, as they think it doesn't apply to them! :shock:
Never give a food animal a name, its not nice to eat a friend!