Trains from Scotland to Bristol.... Help

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trains from Scotland to Bristol.... Help

OK someone on here must be able to tell me.... because having little knowledge of cross-country train services I am at a complete loss....

There MUST be a direct train from somewhere in South/central Scotland (or Carlisle) to Bristol.... I can't even see prices till I put in the stations, but I am having no luck - between the 2 stations in Glasgow, 2 in Edinburgh, countless other possibilities ... and 2 possible destinations in Bristol it is taking me forever to find the right combination. Most combinations have me changing 3 times and the journey taking more than 6 hours :(

Help please
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Trains from Scotland to Bristol.... Help

I once looked at trains from Newcastle to Bristol and was horrified! The journey was going to take, 3 trains, 3 stations a taxi at least 11 hours one way and I'd end up in Kings Cross at around 9.30pm on the journey home and it was going to cost around £100 - and this was 10 years ago. So I flew instead :oops: it took about an hour and cost about the same! If you are looking to go to Bristol in the Easter hols the offer of a lift still stands - you can hop on a train in Edinburgh get off near us and we'll do the rest of the journey. We may even be able to set you up with a bed - my other friend in Bristol has rather a large house and loves company! In fact part of her house is a flat that she's considering hiring out for weekends etc
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is for easter. Thanks for the offer but LO needs a car seat in a car, plus travel cot, plus one suitcase for us all, plus buggy. We would take the car but I don't drive and OH doesn't want to do the whole trip himself...

We fancied 3 or 4 days as a mini break and would probably get a room at a posthouse type affair for the 3 of us.

Just thinking about it just now.... the train is a deal breaker I am afraid though :(
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

invisiblepiper

Hi Annpan - I think it can be done with one change - not sure where though. Is flying a huge no ? Cos you might get a cheap flight from Glasgow airport.
If you need to fly from Prestwick - get in touch - we can help out as we live three miles from there.
Piper.
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

invisiblepiper

Hello again - checked my First Scotrail stuff. You can leave Glasgow Central at 10 am to get to Bristol around 4pm with one change at Birmingham.
Go to the First Scotrail website to see.
Hope that helps! :sunny:
(Robert Frost)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sounds not to bad

I am quite proud of the fact I have never flown, and I plan on keeping it that way :dave: for now *.... besides, when I was asked to fly to London for my work I was told I needed my passport and none of us have one.

*I have a friend who can get me empty/standby seats on transatlantic flights for a pitence, that might change my mind :oops:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan - you can get direct trains from Edinburgh to Bristol with no changes. I know there is one at 9.06 each weekday, I think that may start at Aberdeen or Inverness. Check the Cross County Trains website.

http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you're looking for cheapness, another option might be the sleeper to London and then onwards from london. The sleeper has 'bargain berths' where you can get a single for £20. I've used it a couple of times. It does depend if you can sleep on a train and if they have ticket availalbility on the days you want. Don't forget the option of booking two cheap singles rather than a return journey if you're trying to keep the costs down. If you're changing trains look at each leg individually for cheapest sinlge options. Although changing trains witha little un and a buggy and suitcases becomes tricky.

Cassie

invisiblepiper

Good idea - but i dont think you get the bargain berths at Easter - if its during Scottish holidays (2nd - 19th April this year I think)
(Robert Frost)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having looked at the CRAZY prices of the cross country trains (upwards from £142 EACH!!!) the sleeper sound lovely, we have been wanting to do that for a while, but just too much for E at the moment.... esspecially when we would still have another journey in the morning, and have to do it all again coming home :(

I think we have come to the decision of driving - at least we can all be in relative comfort, and stop when we want, and visit people on the way down, or back home again....

Now we just need to decide if it is worth the time/cost/tiredness of driving 350 miles
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay