Ben Law's House?

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Tigerhair
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ben Law's House?

Did anyone catch Grand Designs on C4 when this amazingly lucky and talented man built his house... thoughts on a postcard (well, here'll do!)...

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/gra ... odman.html

I got the book too! :cheers:
Tigz x

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, I would love to live in a house like that. "Even this insulation is made form recycled newspaper. "

Buc could I live in a tent or caravan for 10 years. I guess I could but I am sure my girlfriend would not be too happy with it. :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Tigerhair

He he

I would also be perfectly happy in a van!! I would LOVE Josh to grow up being IN nature like that! I also love the fact that the "housework" takes about half an hour a week! more time to be outside.... :mrgreen:
Tigz x

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Ho, yus! Ben Law has made a lot of people realsie that building their own home, on a small unpretentious scale, is possible. That programme seemed to be different from all the others in the series, where people typically built huge imposing places from steel and concrete, with special glass roofs that cost £90,000, designed by an architect whose fees were more than Ben Law's house cost altogether. His final building cost was £28k (though he did own the land first).

It often gets a mention in Permaculture magazine, and they run an email list, with the occasional update about it. Apparently he is looking for volunteers in some capacity for a few months work on his land.

He also has open days, where you can see around the house and land, but I was a little bemused to see that he charges £50 each for these.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Chickenlady

I saw this, and thought it was wonderful. Ben Law was so calm and focused - a very impressive person.

And the amazing thing is, when he leaves the house he has to take it down. That was part of the planning permission. So no selling it on at a huge profit or leaving it to his children. So different from all the other property shows where people just want to make money.

(Having said that, £50 for a look round seems a bit steep, and a surprising move for somebody who appears so non materialistic!!)

I would love to build my own environmentally friendly house. I quite fancy straw bales!
Haste makes waste

Tigerhair

Actually

I kinda do understand the charge - it would put off some people because it's a bit too much (i.e. keeping the crowds down) - and why shouldn't he charge for his time and the wear and tear/cleaning...? Anyway, I think it's pretty sensible. :wink:
Tigz x