Any WWOOFers out there!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Steve M
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Any WWOOFers out there!

Hi there,

I was wondering if there were any signed up members to WWOOF (willing workers on organic farms). It's a voluteer group which arranges for it's memebers to go on weekend (or longer) placements at organic farms. As organic farming is a lot more labour intensive the organic farmers really appreciate the free labour and in return give free food and board.

Seem's like an excellent opportunity to get out in to the countryside and learn about organic farming.

Something I am thinking of joining and giving it a go but thought I would see if anyone else has done this and what there experiances of it was like. If anyone is interested I have the address. They don't seem to have a website, well at least not one I could find using google - but if anyone knows this please let me know.

Cheers

Steve

Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

This is the website http://www.wwoof.org/

The UK section is here http://www.wwoof.org/wwoof_uk/home.html

Like you, I've thought about joining, but never quite got round to it. But I've met lots of people who have, and it does seem like an excellent idea. I used to know someone who WWOOFed across New Zealand for six months - it seems a very practical and economical way to see the world, or just your own back yard.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Steve M

Thanks for the links, I will be having a good look at these these out later.

Steve

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have never done it but reckon it is a great idea!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

My niece has just spent all summer wwoofing about Ireland, and she liked it so much that after a short stop at home (Germany) she is returning for September. Not all farms were equally good, of course, but you can always leave if you can't get on at all!

You might even find a farm or two near where you live, so you could try it out for an odd day or week, and you might find others to talk to about their experience. I worked on a farm near Glasgow for 6 months a few years ago, and we often had volunteers there, some for just a day, some on a regular basis one day per week, some for a few weeks at a time.

Ina

Jo

My son has been in Australia all summer and spent 10 days or so wwoofing in Brooloo. He really loved it.

Maybe now he might be more inclined to lend a hand on the allotment.....

Well, I can always hope!

Jo

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sound great Jo!

where on earth (or Aus) is Brooloo - I haven;t heard of it!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Jo

Not sure exactly where but somewhere between Cairns and Sydney... I gather that it is an extremely small place. I might have spelt it incorrectly too. My son's been in Sydney staying at a youth hostel for the last week of his stay and he'll be home soon. He has collected a broken arm along the way - but not while wwoofing. He managed all the adventurous things fine (like bunjee jumping etc) and then came off a bike and landed on his wrist.

He has really loved Australia. My nephew went over for a long visit a couple of years back and he liked it so much he has stayed there. He is in Sydney too.

Jo

ps just talked with my son and he says Brooloo (I did spell it right after all) is in Queensland. The address of the farm is :

Brooloo
Queensland

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahhh, it is the name of a farm! Gotcha!

Nev

Jo

Sorry to confuse you but Brooloo is the name of the town which the farm is near to. I'll ask my son to tell me more when I see him

Jo

Millymollymandy

It's inland from the Sunshine Coast Nev. Sounded such a lovely name I just had to have a Google!!!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Mandy it's not an area of the world that I know very well....

Nev

Steve Hanson
latitude: 46260984
longitude: 01440132

I had one last summer

A WWOOFer that is he was touring Europe for the whole of the summer and up to Christmas, he was from America.

He enjoyed it here so much he returned for a second time just before returning to America.

I have to say I would highly recommend it for anyone volunteer or host it was a truly enriching experience and I am looking forward to this year in hope of Hosting some more volunteers.
Simple, Economical and Purposeful Living

http://www.permacultureeden.com/

Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.
Kahlil Gibran
steve@permacultureeden.com