dyeing wool / felt

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
VM
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

dyeing wool / felt

Another question - planning to try out some natural dyeing so can make felt in my own colours and wonder if anyone else has experience of it - in particular whether works better to make felt and then dye it or dye the wool first and then felt it. Presumably felt might shrink more when dyed as a piece?

thanks for any answers - will post any info about experience when manage to do it!

longer term fantasies about growing the dye plants on the allotment... but perhaps one step at a time

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

I dyed a yak wool shawl with some of my mulberries this year, the colour was fantastic rich bright pink, I followed the instructions off the internet which said that I didn´t need to use a mordant - so I didn´t and unfortunately all the dye washed out on first rinse :lol: :roll:

My understanding from researching this project was that it is change in temperature that causes shrinkage - which is presumably part of the felting process anyway? I think I did my shawl hot and didn´t have any probs because I kept the temperature of the dyeing and rinsing water the same.

I´d love to get more into natural dyes, but then I have so many "want to dos" I get stuck and do none! Slowly slowly as they say round these parts!

Clara x.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

my one (so far) foray into felting I did a top layer of dyed 'bits' on base layers of natural
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: