The Good Life 'car'

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

The Good Life 'car'

I was rewatching some Good Life videos the other week (got them off of Freecycle - their previous owner had replaced them with the DVDs!), and it struck me that there was always this big deal about that car thing they built using a petrol mower engine that they chugged around on... Now why didn't they just do the obvious thing and get themselves bicycles, they could have got down to those pub trips with Jerry and Margo much more quickly and efficiently without apperaing like eco-nutters, kept themselves fit, generated less pollution and generated some good PR for low tech human powered vehicles in the same way they did for allotments and growing your own veg... And they could have invested in or built a bike trailer for when they needed to move bulky or heavier items...

Probabaly not as much comic potentail in 2 bikes and a trailer, but they must have been a bit thick to have never even thought of such an obvious solution to their transport woes...
www.spiralseed.co.uk

"Integrated Design for Local Environmental Resources"

quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: The Good Life 'car'

quercusrobur wrote: Probabaly not as much comic potentail in 2 bikes and a trailer,
Though that said, the BBC did seem to get away with putting an old man in a bath tub on wheels and sending him down a hill in Last of The Summer Wine every week, so I'm sure they could have had similar runaway-bike-trailer-with-margo-in-it fun...
Last edited by quercusrobur on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.spiralseed.co.uk

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't know if i'd like to cycle with a pig in a trailer though...or goats!!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Perhaps a flintstones car could have been the way forward, you know with a hole in the bottom so you could run.

Yep you are right they should have perhaps had a cycle powered car. The lawnmower engine is more polluting than the car engine. Although a car run my a lawn mower is funnier than one ran by pedal power that might have been the thinking behind it.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

quercusrobur
Tom Good
Tom Good

Andy Hamilton wrote:Perhaps a flintstones car could have been the way forward, you know with a hole in the bottom so you could run.
Ah, so you've seen the fleet of mini-busses at my workplace then!
www.spiralseed.co.uk

kimbobill
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Global warming wasn't even on the horizon when the good life was made.
So you have to look at it from a different angle,
It wasn't a case of save the planet, it was escape the rat race.

Also getting nicked for drink driving was almost unheard of.

eccentric_emma
A selfsufficientish Regular

i always wondered why they smashed up their greenhouse to make it a chicken house! ilove the good life though. it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

eccentric_emma wrote:i always wondered why they smashed up their greenhouse to make it a chicken house! ilove the good life though. it always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!
I agree with you it doesnt matter how many times I watch it I enjoy it every time and I wondered the same about the greenhouse :lol:

Stonehead

the.fee.fairy wrote:Don't know if i'd like to cycle with a pig in a trailer though...or goats!!
Oh, I don't know. I found some comic potential by googling and discovered at least one Kiwi has been there, done that...

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

As an optional extra for my rotavator, I could buy a trailer/saddle thing. I did some maths and figured that it would cost me roughly twice as much in fuel to get into town (4km away) and back than in my 750cc Fiat Panda.

I must say I was rather disappointed.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

contadino wrote:As an optional extra for my rotavator, I could buy a trailer/saddle thing. I did some maths and figured that it would cost me roughly twice as much in fuel to get into town (4km away) and back than in my 750cc Fiat Panda.

I must say I was rather disappointed.
Bummer! :cry:

I must admit I saw quite a few on the roads when I was working in China some years ago. They looked like fun to drive!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

JasonP71
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I remember reading a Philip K Dick story where in a bleak future (of course) engineless cars were pulled by horses. Hmm, think I'd manage to look like Steptoe in mine! lol! It's a thought though...

Jason.

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

bear in mind, Tom and Barbara wern't ever into self sufficiency to be eco-friendly as that concept was still in its infancy and therefore had no comedic value; they were in it to be as self sufficient as possible and "stick it to the man" as it were.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

theabsinthefairy

Here's our daughter taking 'good life' style driving lessons with our rotavator and trailer.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Thats really good :cheers: :cheers:
many years ago i planted some trees for the camphill trust and they let me use thier rotorvator/trailer and it was so usefull carrying and fetching the tools, trees and tree guards and my tired back at the end of the day
well done :thumbright:
all the best

Russ
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ