Duck ponds

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

Duck ponds

Has anyone got any tips for an economical duck pond?

We really want them to have clean water to dip into but our second plastic liner has sprung a leak.
I've put a couple of plants in that have so far survived the ducks but still the water greens in a couple of days in this weather. Getting it out and replacing it is hard work with watering cans and expensive as we are on a water meter.

I've got some homemade straw-in-tights thingummys floating about. I'd like a solar pump but worry the ducks will break it.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Duck ponds

we have done various things for the ducks to have water. I never got on with plastic liners, their feet rip into them, a good quality butyl rubber liner from Midland Rubber will last years and is a good investment. At the moment, the ducks have got a water tank that we cut down and fill with water, it can be emptied easily cleaned and refilled every couple of days and the water is very welcome in the containers and pots, also we once had one of those shell shaped childrens sand pit/paddling pool which we got off freecycle, an old bath sunk into the ground with the plughole grouted up, but the best really was the pit with the rubber liner, I pumped the water out with an electric pump straight into the polytunnel and then pumped water from the water butts straight back in if I had it or mains water, when we decide where the new duck pond is going that is what we will do but they will have to make do with what we have, we have 25 ducks so there is often a queue

mamos
Living the good life
Living the good life

I will just say one word DUCKPONICS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOWFvvYH2CU

mamos
If you are interested in Self Reliance, Frugal Living, Gardening and becoming Debt Free, follow my Blog Tiny Allotment

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks digger,

I like the idea of the kids strong paddling pool best. For speed I think a smaller splashplace is better if I can refresh it daily. I've set them up an old porcelain butler's sink today but Vera is suspicious of it and Jack doesn't like swimming! Longer term something bigger and stronger.

Mamos I've seen that video and think its fantastic what shes set up. Paradise for the ducks and so efficient.

Thanks.