Generous freebies and learning new skills

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Generous freebies and learning new skills

I arrived home tonight to find my bath full of crabs and lobsters - courtesy of a very generous local fisherman! Thank goodness for youtube! I now know how to cook and dress crab and how to cook and deal with lobster. I've also made acquaintance with a game keeper and there may be a hare or two on it's way to me......... I'm open to suggestions..........
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

The Riff-Raff Element

Re: Generous freebies and learning new skills

Lucky you! If they're young hare, a roast baron of hare is a rare & wonderful thing. Otherwise, stewing them with a sturdy red wine is a way forward.

Carltonian Man

Wow, very lucky you. If you do get some hare, top tip, gut them outside in the open. Also be tempted to try the heart and liver sliced and gently fried, maybe with a chopped rasher or two of smoked bacon.

oldjerry

Hare...bloody lovely.Red wine route for me too,Dad used to hang them,complete waste of time,a good french cookery book ( eg. Elizabeth David) yum. Cure the skin.All that shellfish,lucky you,when I get home the bath's usually full of dirty washing.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I haven't had hare since I was a child. But I do remember my parents gagging over gutting it - so the suggestion re doing it outside seems about right. :pukeright: I think they used a Mrs Beaton recipe, but it definitely involved Dad's Elderberry wine.

A neighbour brought us a box of fish a couple of years ago (sadly he died last year). We were a bit perturbed to see it moving until we discovered the three live crabs crawling round the base of the box, under a sheet of paper! :lol: :mrgreen:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin