asparagus

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

asparagus

Hi all,does anyone know about asparagus? I have 3 spears ready for cutting,the plant is in its.3rd season.will it grow more spears once cut or is that it? Will it spread or do I need more plants? Please help someone I don't want to ruin the plant or do something wrong after 3 years of nurturing.thanks
Clare
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: asparagus

After three years it should be able to cope with a little cutting by now, possibly quite a lot. I'm pretty sure it'll put up more shoots if you cut the three you have. If you don't cut them, they will definitely grow tall and ferny, which I'm guessing is not what you planted asparagus for!

I think you'll need more than one plant to get a reasonable crop. I have in mind that five are generally reckoned to be enough, but I can't remember whether that's for one person or a family (however many that's supposed to be). Mine aren't old enough to cut yet (three years, but grown from seed, so need longer) but when they are, I should have plenty. I sowed forty...
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: asparagus

Thanks Rachel,I will cut them and see.I do Have another 2 crowns to plant but want to relocate the asparagus bed so didn't want to put them in yet.I will cut and let you know what happens.............
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!