Barrren hens? Immature combs?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Barrren hens? Immature combs?

I have 5 black Pekin bantams which I have had for over a year and only one is laying. Her comb is as it should be,being red and quite large.
The 5 other hens have tiny pale combs and have not laid a single egg between them,whilst the larger comb one does lay every other day at mo.
I believe they may be older as opposed to younger based on the longer nails at end of each toe!!! I have always thought that longer nails mean an older chook!!
So I am now thinking are they just too old to lay or are they all barren? if this is possible.
Any one got any ideas on this??
Unfortunately I had them from an acquaitance I know who breeds chickens but he didn't say how old they were and I forgot to ask (woman of a ceetain age!!)

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barrren hens? Immature combs?

Hmm, I bought some jungle fowl once, I got them home and the females seemed to spend most of the time asleep, they did not seem very active, a few months later they all died of old age, they had short toe nails, their legs weren't scaly and they looked very pretty, of course I realised once I had them a few days that they were OAP hens, but I didn't mind too much, I have a lot of passengers.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Barrren hens? Immature combs?

Thanks for reply,I too seem to have passengers!! I love all poultry and find it really hard to despatch the ones that arent productive!!