Which new fruit trees ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Which new fruit trees ?

I am going to take [another] chunk out of the lawn this week :shock: , extend/widen the bed around it and make room for 2 more fruit/apple trees. :flower:

I currently have 1 pear, 1 plum, 3 apples; Discovery, James Grieve and Queen Cox. All are young and havent fruited yet [I have brutally stopped them, it was hard tho]

So what to put in the new spots ? any recommendations that would do well in North West England. It is a pretty sheltered site, mostly in sun. One will have some currant bushes near/under it, these are already in place after they were 'adopted' from my brothers' garden when he moved ! :king:

Any suggestions for other things to plant underneath, sort of perma/forest style ? :scratch: I am thinking of chard cos it is pretty colours, might put leeks under there as a temporary measure if they outgrow seed pots ! Maybe any strawberries if any left over from baskets/neighbour. Other salad, maybe herbs but I dont know what. Going to hit the garden center tomorrow. :cheers:
Sarah :flower:

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Which new fruit trees ?

Greengages? They are lovely fresh, make a fabulous plum tart, are good for jam and make a fine chutney.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

How about something a little different? I have both a medlar and a quince. Both fruit well here, not so sure how they would fare further north but both make lovely jams/preserves and are great for swapping for other produce. Both trees will grow big but can be pruned hard to keep them in check.

Zoe

sleepyowl

Cherry?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Went with another apple, Jupiter, and a Greengage. Definitely inspired by suggestions, so thanks for those. They have settled in nicely with some rhubarb, comfrey and blueberry underneath. Flowers to follow too in time.

Really dont think I have room for any more.....
Sarah :flower:

oldjerry

Just my opinion,love the greengage ,but plant it in a half barrel,go with the cherries,always Stella. BW

sleepyowl

I thought that blueberries would need a more acid soil than members of the rose family, so will be interested to hear what happens as I have my blueberries in a large pot of ericaceous compost
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/