veg to plant now

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Islaskye
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

veg to plant now

Hi Guys,

Just pulled up the last of the spring onions, parsnips and lettuce I had growing in my veg patch and now its looking very naked!!!
Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can sow now for harvesting over winter???
Ive anready got lettuce, toms, peas, strawberries and nastersiums growing around the garden, any other suggestions???

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: veg to plant now

Now is just about the right time for sowing spring cabbage.
Other crops you could sow now are turnips for spring greens, chard, radish, salad carrots, and a little bit later you could sow overwintering peas and/or broad beans.
Flowers from bought plants; wallflowers, winter pansies, primroses and polyanthus to name a few.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Islaskye

thanks, like the idea of chard, never grown that before, will definately give it a go.

Lentil

A tub of potatoes for new potatoes on Christmas day! You have to keep them protectec from frost if you can.

I have just found a few sprouting potatoes and have put them to chit on the window sill. Have found a planter and will put in the porch I think.
I am hoping that my suggestion works for me too!

P.S, Sorry this isn't much help for filling your veg patch, unless you build a sort of glass topped frame on it, to hold the potatoe planter.

jamesb
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

garlic and onions, both well suited to planting now

James

TheLancsLass
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
Facebook Name: Sally Walker

All of the above and also there are plenty of herbs you can grow now if you have indoors or out if you have a greenhouse/grow rack etc, as well things like Rocket, winter salad leaves etc. I planted rocket and some lettuce last week and it's going banana's already :iconbiggrin:
Sally