[wonderdrug?] Trametes versicolor (Turkey Tail mushroom)

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

[wonderdrug?] Trametes versicolor (Turkey Tail mushroom)

I've been hearing very good things about the healing properties of this mushroom - does anyone know how i could go about growing them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trametes_versicolor

Nomada
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: [wonderdrug?] Trametes versicolor (Turkey Tail mushroom)

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/pr ... iSKk304006

wigglies sell them hun. They look beautiful, I was looking at them but I'm gonna see if I can manage to grow something as simple as oysters first! I really do want chicken of the woods too though.
England is not a Free People, till the Poor that have no Land, have a free allowance to dig and labour the Commons.

southeast-isher

great, thank you!

CharlieLittle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Google "mushroom plug spawn uk". There are some suppliers I see. One can inoculate their own logs much less expensively.

For medicinal mushrooms you should also check out Red Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum).

You can learn how to fairly easily grow these and many other species inside your home on various cellulosic substrates with bran supplements for much faster colonization and fruiting than on natural logs while waiting on them to produce.

southeast-isher

Cool, thanks Charlie - Have you grown any of these or do you take them as a supplement?

CharlieLittle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

southeast-isher wrote:Cool, thanks Charlie - Have you grown any of these or do you take them as a supplement?
I have grown Pearl Oyster mushrooms in my home in the past as well as Pink Oyster and Lion's Mane. Have just recently gotten back into it and have cultures of Shiitake, Red Reishi, Pearl Oyster and Chicken of the Woods, all started from vendor purchased culture syringes and I have them going in liquid culture jars I made and have the Shiitake and Pearl Oyster started on grain spawn jars and other substrates. I'm also about to inoculate some wooden dowel plugs I just received in the mail so to have them when logging season starts I want to do some naturally.

I really do enjoy the whole process of mycology from start to finish but I elected to not deal with spore prints this time. Culture is much faster and easily reproduced.

Have been eyeing that Turkey Tail but have enough on my plate for now. :mrgreen:
Just a little fungi...

southeast-isher

Cool, do you know Paul Stamets website? http://www.fungi.com/

I'd be very interested to buy some of his stuff. There are talks by him on mycology on Youtube and ted.com which are really interesting.

CharlieLittle
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

southeast-isher wrote:Cool, do you know Paul Stamets website? http://www.fungi.com/

I'd be very interested to buy some of his stuff. There are talks by him on mycology on Youtube and ted.com which are really interesting.
Yes I recently purchased some plug spawn from them I'm going to attempt to inoculate my purchased dowel plugs with and also have made some liquid cultures with them so I have different strains from different vendors and can determine which is best further down the road. They are a very reputable company.
Just a little fungi...