101 uses for water

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

101 uses for water

I'm talking rainwater and greywater here. I collect both, but after the plants are watered and the toilet flushed, I'm not sure how else I can use this without a complicated system. Anyone got any simple ideas about how I can use more rainwater and greywater in the house?

cynicaltrek
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: 101 uses for water

mrsmiggins wrote:I'm talking rainwater and greywater here. I collect both, but after the plants are watered and the toilet flushed, I'm not sure how else I can use this without a complicated system. Anyone got any simple ideas about how I can use more rainwater and greywater in the house?
I live in the woods and am not connected to the mains. My water comes from a well and I collect water too. Rainwater is fine for washing clothes, the car, the dog and the mopping. ( : k

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I use ours for allsorts; washing the filters from the fish-pond, cleaning paint brushes, supplying drinking water to our cats & dog ( they prefer rain-water to tap water), washing the dirt off my hands prior to a proper wash, damping down the greenhouse, washing out flowerpots, chucking over the car wind-screen in the winter when it's iced up........ basically i use butt water for most things unless it's for drinking or cooking. P.S. I have known some people use it for sluicing themselves, but that don't appeal to me!
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Millymollymandy

I use rainwater for my ducks and chooks and for washing out their bowls etc. I wouldn't use it on them if I was down to the dregs though or if the water had turned green!

Also for washing muddy root veg outside in a bucket then give it a final rinse indoors in tap water.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I use rainwater in the house for water plants, washing brushes, vases, plant pots and anything else that doesn't hold food. I have a water butt outside the back wall of my laundry room. I bought a really cheap hose spray end and put it on the hose from the water butt. I happened to have a handy hole in the wall of the laundry room where the washing machine used to be and I fed the hose through. Now I can use the water in the laundry room. I haven't linked it up to the washing machine or for flushing the loo as it would mean running the hose across the floor, but I'm thinking about how to solve that problem.

Cheers
Zoe

mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks everyone, I'm using rainwater loads more now and treating tap water like liquid money, still not sure about greywater though? It doesn't keep very long so doesn't have as many uses as rainwater, but there must be some more :scratch: