Running a diesel on SVO

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Running a diesel on SVO

fiunding anything on the net about 2000 model volvo S80s is proving to be a nightmare, so I am clutching at straws. my brother in law has convinced my hubby it's a great idea to buy veg oil from a wholesaler and run their cars on it; WITHOUT doing any flipping research as to whether our car CAN run on veg oil, and leaving muggins here to try and do the research (am I anoyed? yes. I want to shove his toyota pick-up up his rear end). :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: information about the 2000 model S80 is like hen's teeth. they changed the engine in 2001 so anything after 2000 is not viable information for our particular volvo.

so, anybody know anything about diesels running on veg oil? specifically SVO rather than WVO.
my (our) car is a 2000 x reg volvo S80 TDi with a 2.5l engine, 3 speed auto gearbox. it's not a common rail diesel as far as I know, so the problems with common rail and SVO wont be experienced.

oh well. veg oil is better than Dave's last idea which was buy diesel dye and add it to red diesel. omg he needs a good slap. :angryfire:

so, yeah. any info at all would be wonderful. http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... isplay.php this place really isn't helping yet, I may have to sign up and leave a note there too.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: Running a diesel on SVO

FOUND INFORMATION.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/for ... php?tid=85

our car uses a DI pump, if jim were to shove veg oil in it he could check lots of stuff but still run the rick of crapping up our entire engine.

right. on with research on electric conversion for his other idea :roll:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

first i have to say i HATE COMPUTERS
there thats out my system(sorry already type this reply once and lost it)
i'm sorry i cant offer any advise about volvos but i've been running my landy on derv/svo at 60:40 mix for about 5thou miles and she running great straight though mot with no probs
as i understand it the older and more agricultual your vehicle the better it will run on svo, also since desiels where designed to run on veg oil orginally it is the fuel system which cant deal with veg oil
i found the following web site very helpful and as luck would have it; it is also run by my nieghbours son so i've been albe to talk to him. he certanly seems to know his stuff.
http://vegburner.co.uk/index.html
he also offers to do full or part conversions but i cant afford to go this route at the moment.
as for buying it i get mine from bookers at 85p a liter in 20L drums so save about £9 a fill up(30L derv to 20L svo) :cheers:
try hard mean well and never give up

Graye

This may be a bit late in the day as you posted some time ago.

I had not previously heard of vehicles running on cooking oil until we offered to put up a friend's daughter and her boyfriend a couple of months ago. They had driven from the UK to southern Spain and were passing close by us here in France. This was at the time of the fuel protests in Spain and they had run very short of diesel around Barcelona. He had promptly popped into a local supermarket and bought a huge supply of their very basic veggie oil and poured it in.

I have to say his car was a top of the range and almost new BMW (the number was 07 but I'm not too au-fait with the latest UK registations) and he's a car dealer so I assume he knew what he was doing. He told us that he runs a Landrover and a Discovery back in the UK exclusively on cooking oil and that most diesel cars will run on it, the thinner and cheaper the better. He also mentioned that diesels using Bosch systems are the most adaptable. I'm sure you could find a forum where the ins and outs of particular cars using veggie oil are discussed?

The strangest thing is that diesel is cheaper than petrol here in France whereas it is the other way around in the UK and Spain. We always feel a bit hard done by in our petrol car while we are here...
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

like i said on the alternative transport

ive just bort a fordson major, and lucky as i am, my tractor will in fact run on veg oil, neet, as the fuel pump, and filter, are designed to cope with dirty, or thick diesal, or so ive been told

gd luck with ure research

hope u dnt reck ure engine