Broadband through a mobile phone?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Broadband through a mobile phone?

I live in an area too far from the nearest exchange to get broadband. Someone suggested I should get a mobile phone & get broadband at home via the mobile. My initial thoughts are it will be expensive but they suggested it is not. I currently pay £12.49/month for unlimited access to the internet. Could I get broadband through a mobile? Is it expensive? Who would you recommend I go to?

Thanks

MINESAPINT
MINESAPINT

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Broadband through a mobile phone?

I don't know about broadband, but a few years ago I was able to get a dial-up connection through a mobile, while living in a tipi.

Magpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

I looked into that here in NZ, and found the only way (here, at least) to get mobile BB coverage is to go through the 3G network. I think if you're far enough away from a city to not be able get wired broadband, you would be too far away to get mobile broadband. You can test this though, if you can borrow a 3G capable phone, and use it at your place, there will be a 3G logo come up on the phone if you are in range.

Sorry if that's a bit garbled, got 3 children talking to me all at once here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

You don't actually need a mobile phone to do this.
You get a 'dongle' modem that plugs into your USB port and connects via 3G
Can't comment on price as I'm sure it's different in the UK, but read the small print as there is usually a download limit and they charge so much a Kb after you exceed that.

If you do want a mobile phone make sure it has bluetooth on it, otherwise you may have trouble connecting it to your computer.
Nokia are particularly good for this ... Motorola are not (in my experience)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.