What would you recommend?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What would you recommend?

Is there a particular gardening / allotment book that you would recommend?
Or anything you would tend to stay away from? :mrgreen:

Chickpea
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Great question. The "Expert" series by D.G.Hessayon are generally recgnised to be the "bible", so for allotment gardening that means the Fruit Expert and the Vegetable and Herb Expert. They don't specifically deal with organic growing though. If you can find it, Food From Your Garden by the Readers Digest is my number one recommendation. Read my review to find out the reasons why. Onw I would suggest you avoid is The Allotment Book by A.M. Clevely. It's a nice "coffee table" book with pretty photos, an extensive section about the history of allotments, and a quote from a pop singer on the front, but it's practically information-free. It's OK for inspiration and getting your enthusiasm going, but that's about it.

I don't have a specific organic fruit and vegetable gardening book. Can anyone recommend one?

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was just about the recommend The Allotment Book actually, i've found it to be very informative!

There's also the Complete book of Self Sufficientcy, i'd recommend that one too, and i've got a couple of others, i'll dig them out and tell you about them.

charlie
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cheers for that. :lol:

Got my motivation going today and spent a couple of useful hours down my allotment. Got a few more new people around, so was very inspired!!