HELLO

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

HELLO

HI EVERYBODY this is my 3rd attempt to do this! im new to computers & this is my 1st forum. i live in a croft in aberdeenshire i moved here from leeds 16 years ago with my x partner & 3 dogs 4 cats.the house was semi derelict,not lived in for 23 years, loads neglected outbuildings & 2 acres land. im a part time dad to a 10 yo girl. no job or income at the moment. i have been into s sish for over 20 years . we came close to ss growing most of our own veg & chickens,ducks. tryed goats but gave up.also had 3 peackocks that bred & ended up with 14!! [got rid] planted 100s trees&hedging,had to battle against rabbits,deer,weather.but the place is feeling relitevly shelterd.i manage to cut a fair bit firewood, thou i feel bit sad cutting trees ive grown from seed :? all organic,trying to live a simple life. money [or lack of] has allways been the big problem. i did some labouring for a neghbour for 2 years then we set up a gardening round,did that for 4 years, but mostly tidying,weeding etc,few interesting jobs,but think we took on too much. after my daughter came along gave it up. me and my x split when h was 3,she stays in the village a few miles away.so i see h a lot. i came to a bit of a standstill for a long time,dident have any enthusiasm for the croft. i tried working for my brother in leeds, he has roleplaying shops [not my thing] mostly goin up & down m1, i hated it :( plus i missed my girl,i was coming home every 3 weeks.i did that for 18 months. since then ive become bit of a hermit. im feelin a bit more enthusiastic about life & am trying to get more done here. h loves the place & tells me i cant move, i do too but debts are getting bad.anyway thats my life story so far! should hav joined depressed insomniacs :oops: ps think stonehead is my neighbour,i can see candle hill from my hill.
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

monkeynuts
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi HILLDREAMER90 and welcome from another newbie (both on here and on computer forums)

We live not too far from both you and Stonehead.

I would love to own a croft but that is something for the future and I know I couldn't be fully Sish as I can't kill anything...not even a rat, I take my hat off to anyone who can. I tried rearing sheep and chickens back in Durham but sold them all on as when it came time to do the dead I bricked it.lol So I'd have to have a veggie croft...not as much fun eh?

And what a lot of peacocks...they make an awful din don't they but they are so beautiful.
xxx Mrs G xxx
Neeps The friendly forum

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hello Hilldreamer

We are not too far from you either... Alford-ish!!

:welcomeish:

There are lots of people from Aberdeenshire into the Ish way of life.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Earthmother
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Welcome Hilldreamer :flower:

HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

thnx for your welcomes. we were given the peackocks & thought we would be able to sell some.they cost a fortune to feed & allways went walkabout,had to go to the farm next door & catch them,as they were scaring the cows!! was tempted to try them roast,a persian delicacy.gave them away,was v glad. im a big wuss when it comes to killing things,did a few chickens,rabbits & shot 2 phesants. i should be a veggi, but like meat too much. hypocritical i know. the only thing i kill these days are big spiders,but thats selfdefence :oops: i know spiders are good & i feel guilt & shame :( .A.
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Hilldreamer,

Welcome to the site!

The palce next to where my brother used to live had peackocks and let 'em run wild. We used to stay in a tent and the noisy buggers would sound like a scalded cat right outside the tent - after the 3rd night of no sleep I would have cheerfully despathed the lot by hand!

As far as spiders go, we have a kids toy, a plastic chamber called a "Bug Catcher" we use it to catch spiders then dump outside.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

The Chili Monster

"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

shiney

Welcome Hilldreamer,

I hope that you enjoy the company here!

You are fortunate to have a croft and I admire all the hard work you've done. I guess it's not easy as there's always something that needs attending to. I am amazed that Stonehead even manages to get to the computer to join us here sometimes. He's always busy!

You are definately not alone with all the SSF'ers here that are based in Scotland. I am sure they can provide you with lots of advice, if you need it.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

PurpleDragon

Hi Hilldreamer :) Another Aberdeen-Isher here although I'm a bit of a drive from Shirz and Stoney. Welcome :)
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Shirley

PurpleDragon wrote:Hi Hilldreamer :) Another Aberdeen-Isher here although I'm a bit of a drive from Shirz and Stoney. Welcome :)
Isn't EVERYWHERE a bit of a drive in Aberdeenshire :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

PurpleDragon

Yeah, sometimes it seems so
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello Hilldreamer. Its looking a bit like you are surrounded by ishers. Just to put your mind at easy, I am nowhere near you :lol:
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm the other side of the country too :wink:

Welcome
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

red

welcome :mrgreen:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ina

Hi Hilldreamer, and welcome!

Another Aberdeenshironian - but the other end of the shire...

And I'm envious of your croft, too! :shock:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)