Elderflower disaster, worried rhubarb's going the same way

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
monkeylass
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Elderflower disaster, worried rhubarb's going the same way

Afternoon all
My husband's been brewing his own beer for a few years, but I've only had a few experiments in wine and infusions. A couple of years ago I made some lovely blackcurrent vodka, and the elderberry wine is just coming into its own now.
This year I thought I'd make some elderflower cordial (turrned out beautiful) and elderflower champagne... disater :( I put everything in the bucket on Thursday night, was away for the weekend, so Monday day took off the cover to strain it, and there were patches of mould on the top. I was heartbroken. It doesn't help I left it so late in the season so I don't think I'll get another stab this year. I was as careful as careful can be sterilising my equipment. Was I not careful enough, or did I just leave it too long in this heat before bottling?
I also made some rhubarb wine a few months back. That's developed a ring of (for want of a better word) skum in the neck of the demijohn. I'm just really hoping that's not ruined too. I'll post a pic of the demijohn later so you can see if I'm being paraniod.
Many thanks for your advice
Monkeylass
Oh, p.s. all recipes were from 'booze for free' if that helps.

monkeylass
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Elderflower disaster, worried rhubarb's going the same w

Here's a stab at showing you a picture of the wine as promised:
[img][IMG]http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s52 ... bf45dc.jpg[/img][/img]

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Elderflower disaster, worried rhubarb's going the same w

I wouldn't worry about that at this stage... Often some yeast will collect on the surface, and that's what that looks like to me.

The first rule of homebrewing is: "Do not talk about homebrewing". No, wait, that's not right... The first rule of homebrewing is "Don't panic!"

As for the elderflower, it's hard to say without standing over your shoulder watching every step of the process, but I don't think I would leave it that long before straining it... Although it's been a few years since I did it.
Cheers

Dunc