Burnt? Runner bean plants

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
wattreesmassive
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Burnt? Runner bean plants

The first two leaves on some of my runner beans have gone yellow and withered yet the new growth is lush and green,why is this? We havent had a frost so that cant be it,could a cold wind have "burnt" the first leaves as its been awfully windy or could it be that the ground has been manured so theres too much nitrogen in the soil? Im baffled as they look awful! Can I remove the damaged leaves without harming the new growth?

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Burnt? Runner bean plants

I've had similar experiences with some rooted Philadelphus that I thought were sufficiently hardened off.There have been 4 or 5 days here recently which although the temp never dropped much below 7 or 8C,there has been a seriously,and for early May,unusually cold wind.....that's where I'd put my money.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't attempted to put mine out yet, it is so cold and windy, even when I do, I put fleece or windbreak material round them until they are better established as the North West wind could whip the skin off ye

daz101

Did they have brown spots first? It could be bean blight which is quite common and much to my annoyance can persist in the seed. My two Hyacinth beans have it and I've never grown them before so it can only have come through the seed.
This will give you more info...
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/02913.html
Also from your description I'm gathering that you mean the lower (older) leaves are yellowing. This chlorosis pattern can also be an indication of iron deficiency as iron is moved from the older growth to create the new fresh growth. Try a good foliar feed it definitely cant hurt. This stuff is fab and goes a very long way, its basically horticultural soap and nutrients, biodegradable with no harvest interval.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-Invigorat ... nvigorator
See info also here...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_defi ... isorder%29

wattreesmassive

Thanks to you all,Im torn between iron defiency and the wind although I did cover them in fleece as we were warned about a cold snap {though the peas had the same treatment and they are fine!} I will definately feed as it wont hurt,the new leaves look lovely,which Im pleased about,the family wouldnt forgive me if I lost them as runners are their favourite veg!