Spinach troubles

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Spinach troubles

I'm not a fan of spinach but I thought I'd grow some this year, the OH likes it. But I have had no success. I grow them in modules on a first floor terrace at work. The seeds sprout ok but when the seedlings start to get their first true leaves something starts to eat them or I assume they are being eaten. The tops of the leaves seem as if they have been scortched and started curling up, but it doesn't stop there. in fact whatever it, is reduces them in the end to little stalks. It is not slugs or snails - I start all my seedlings here and nothing else has been touched, although I occassionally get trouble with white aphids, a leaf cutter and perhaps flea beetles. I can't see any aphids or other insects on them. Beside them there are lettuces, beetroot seedlings all growing normally. Anyone got any ideas

pumpy

Re: Spinach troubles

No, but it is ruddy annoying!!!! :icon_smile:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pigeons?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I had some celebrese do similar. I assumed it was too hot in the position I put them as put the next lot to a lower shelf and they're doing fine.

I've not tried growing spinach yet, I have a pack in the fridge at the moment, but have read to put it in partial shade. Maybe the terrace is just the wrong place for it. :dontknow:

PossibleBoris
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've tried growing spinach for the first time this year, and have 5 small rows of different varieties. I sowed straight into the ground and they shot up quickly.

I then tried to thin them out and replant to make them look neater - either I did something wrong or they don't like being moved as most have died. I'm left with a few producing some pretty big leaves but nowhere near as much as hoped. I've sown some more in their growing position and hopefully I'll manage a late summer crop.

Peggy Sue

I heard spinach is best sown direct into the ground... bit like parsley t doesn't like it's roots disturbed. I do mine that way and it's fine if not way too much (again!!!).

Having said that the very first year I did grow in modules and it was overwhealmingly fine then too. I normally sew mine around now so it's around for winter when I haven't got other stuff.
Just Do It!

grahamhobbs

Thanks for everyones advice. I tried sowing direct but a cat or fox took a liking to my seed bed. Perhaps unbeknown to me the compost in my modules dried out, seems strange because it was pouring with rain most of the time, but if the seedlings are very sensitive....

Anyway the perpetual spinach is always available and as we have recently discovered, me and my OH prefer beetroot leaves.

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

I used always to grow perpetual spinach - a different animal. This year I sowed normal spinach which germinated beautifully, but now I remember why I used to grow perpetual spinach, because ordinary spinach goes to seed so easily when it's hot weather. It's been lovely, but has now nearly all gone to seed, whereas the perpetual spinach goes on forever and ever.

thesunflowergal

Henwoman wrote:I used always to grow perpetual spinach - a different animal. This year I sowed normal spinach which germinated beautifully, but now I remember why I used to grow perpetual spinach, because ordinary spinach goes to seed so easily when it's hot weather. It's been lovely, but has now nearly all gone to seed, whereas the perpetual spinach goes on forever and ever.
Shame here, I had literatley had a handful of leaves off my spinach before it decided to bolt.
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Peggy Sue

Ah, I am actually talking about perpetual spinach - I haven't tried growing the 'real thing' ...maybe another year
Just Do It!

PossibleBoris

Further to my post above (1/7/11) the new spinach plants are sprouting up. So trial and error would suggest that -

1) Spinach roots don't like being disturbed, so sow them in position; and
2) It grows from seed in the ground both in spring and summer.

I find this is the best way of learning, and hopefully I'll soon discover why sweetcorn patch is still only full of little tiddlers!

grahamhobbs

Thanks everyone, I will try sowing direct, perhaps now they will escape the ravages of slugs.