Need help - craving fruit!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Seraphim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Need help - craving fruit!

Hello all :)

Not sure if it's a cooking or gardening thing really, so taking a stab in the dark and putting it here :)

For the past year or so I have been trying to eat as much of a local and organic diet as possible. Mostly I do ok; my food is probably 90% organic and 60% local right now, still working on it.

But. The big problem. I am desperately craving fruit. Please can a helpful gardener/cook or other knowledgable person let me know what fruit I can eat? I managed to get some apples in the autumn and in the summer it's fine with all the berries..... but right now I can find nothing at all apart from tasteless apples that have been in storage :/

Does any fruit grow in the UK apart from apples and berries, and when should I look for it?

Thanks for your time as always!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need help - craving fruit!

Rhubarb

My forced rhubarb is ready now, a month or so before the main crop.

I guess Jams and Chutneys are the traditional way to get fruit throughout the year.... or how about freezing raspberries?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, rhubarb is the way to go, mine's ready too - it was only 3-4 weeks ago I put the forcer on some fist-sized stumps! :lol:

Technically, of course, it's a vegetable :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Seraphim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the help you two, unfortunately my other half won't touch rhubarb (sob!), and I really would like something just to snack on and dig my teeth into.... I guess it's back to the imported apples unfortunately :( Though I do remember when I was a kid sitting on the back porch with a bowl of sugar and some sticks of rhubarb, just dipping and munching..... but I think my dentist would have a fit ;)

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

:lol: Don't tell the dentist - they won't know if you brush after your treat :wink:
tomatos available from UK now, and that's a fruit :flower:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Helsbells

Hi Seraphim,

I dont think you should feel bad about buying the odd bit of fruit here and there, if you are craving fruit then you could be lacking in nutrients. Just try and buy fruit that is a least european so it hasnt travelled too far. If not European make sure it is fair trade so you are supporting farmers, and organic because tis better for the environment and has higher welfare standards.
Also dont forget about dried fruit, lots of nutrients in that and I think its better for the environment because its smaller, thus weighs less etc for transporting (just guessing here though but I would imaging this is the case)
You have to think of your health.

greenfingers
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

bottling fruit is also a traditional preserving methord , also on the dried fruit note, why not make some of your own nexst year and store it, will probubly taste better than stored apples (sadly owers have alwas gone off be xmas, cant work out why)

Rohen
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rohen the Dobermann owner

Seraphim
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ooh, thanks for the canning/bottling link.... not sure why that hadn't occured to me, but hey!

Excellent ideas Ish'ers, as always :)