'-ish' Appliances

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

hay331 wrote:I have a sister who lives in Amsterdam and it is quite"normal" to take things off the street that have been put out for collection, it doesn't have to be done in the dead of night!
It used to be like that in Germany - there were regular collections of large items of rubbish (i.e. furniture, washing machines, fridges etc.) every three months, and most students and unemployed (and a lot of others...) furnished their flats from that. Now, for whatever reason, they've changed the system (come to think of it, they probably wanted to save money): If you have a large item to get rid of, and you can't take it to the dump yourself, you have to ring the council, tell them exactly what you have, they give you a date on which you have to put in on the street, and it then belongs to the council and it's a crime to take it away, in the dark or during the day!!! Ridiculous, or what?

In the past, I often lived without washing machine for months on end. I must admit that in my present job I couldn't do without it - although we do have one at work which I could use. I get quite grubby on a daily basis (muck etc), and I hate wearing waterproofs all day (too sweaty inside).

And yes, I know exactly what a problem it is to make people understand that you can "just sit there and think", or, in fact, read a book, or do some knitting, or mending (instead of buying new stuff); that the lack of time they all complain about is due mainly to the hours they "have to" spend in front of the telly, and that they could easily cook proper meals, and even make their own bread, if they chucked that box out...

The few good things that are on are usually at a time when I'm in bed, anyway.

All you non-licence payers: How do you deal with the authorities?

I've given up telling them that I don't have TV. I did that once, in writing, as they request - but then I thought that's nonsense: Why do I have to spend time (for writing) and money (for the paper and stamp) on telling them that I don't want to buy their product? Nobody else of all those companies sending me advertising brochures expect this. Imagine me having to tell the British meat board or whatever on an annual basis, in wiriting, that due to the fact that I am a vegetarian I will not require any of their services this year thank you very much? But TV seems to be almost regarded as life's essential like water.
I have offered to pay a fee for using the radio (in Germany you have to pay extra for that), but they declined. I have also read of somebody who sends them a cheque every year for about 20% of the total fee (which is, I believe, regarded the amount spent on the radio programmes), and he keeps getting it returned, because they have no way of processing it. Tough luck...

Ina

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

ina wrote:All you non-licence payers: How do you deal with the authorities?

I've given up telling them that I don't have TV.
It's invidious, isn't it? The case for having a TV licence is strong, and the service the BBC provides in return, on radio, TV and the internet, is, for all its failings, excellent. It would be a black day for British culture if the Beeb became supported by advertising, or by direct government funding.

But there is a nasty presumption by the licensing authorities that you need a TV licence before they even know if you have a TV, and, in fact, they seem to continue to assume that even after you have informed them that you don't have a TV. It is tantamount to a presumption of guilt.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

It annoys me also. I quite openly tell them that I have a television but use it to watch prerecorded videos/DVDs (all quite legal).

You do NOT have to have a tv licence if you own a television.
However if you receive broadcasts (Terrestrial or Satellite) then you must have one.

I really dont like the language that they use on the letters that they send.
Its all very "threatening" and misleading (from their letters, they imply that if you *have* a television, you must get a licence (which is all hogwash - just owning a television does not mean you are breaking the law by not having a licence (as previously stated).

I've been without a licence for over 2 years now and , every time I do get to watch television (round a friends house) it reaffirms my commitment to not getting one or wasting my time watching (it really *is* all "reality" makeover/cooking rubbish - there doesnt appear to be anything else on!

My TV sits there 99% of the time switched off and i have no arial plugged in. Usually (about once a week) I like to (perfectly legally) watch a video or DVD.

The only thing I miss are documentaries - although i'm not convinced that there are many good ones on nowadays.

I do agree with earlier posters though, that the BBC is generally excellent and it would be a sad sad day to see them rely on advertising and all the nastyness that goes along with it.

(incidentally, getting your neighbour to video your favourite programs for you and then watching them on your own telly is (*i think*) forbidden)

Lyds
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How glad I am that the tv thing had come up. We have been without tv from choice since 1985 but the licencing authority cannot get the hang of it. I get regular letters suggesting I buy a licence, then come the threats of a call from an inspector. I have even seen a poster on a bus saying "13 people with the postcode TQ6 do not have a tv licence" wot?

Looking in our front window you will see a non tuned in, no aerial tv on whick the kids watch pre recorded vids. No doubt some inspector comes along to press his nose against the window every so often waiting to catch us. Is being without telly a crime? One would certainly think so.

As to what we do, I'm too busy being interested in life to watch tv. However I do have a weakness for John Humphries and tune in to radio 4 at 6.30 every morning, James Naughtie is ok but JH makes my morning. :roll:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

hay331 wrote:Its a funny thing we Brits have about asking for things that look as if they have been dumped/not in use! I have a sister who lives in Amsterdam and it is quite"normal" to take things off the street that have been put out for collection, it doesn't have to be done in the dead of night!
....to be the second one to quote this....

I used to live in Northampton (UK not USA) and it was quite normal to take stuff off the street that was not in use. When I live in a house with no central heating and just an open fire we kept ourselfs warm from all the furntiure we got. Some of the stuff we found would be used too, I had a lovely big armchair once.

About TV licences we got a red letter through today and I do watch TV and I have paid up to the end of August. I phoned up, agreed to pay £10 every month and so they started to charge me £30 ish a month, did not realise until I was skint after the 3rd month that this was what they were doing and I was charged £30 from the bank for the payment bouncing. Aparently new licences have to be a year in advance (which they never told me) and so I was being charged for the quaterly ammount. B@***£$, don't mind paying for the BBC but I do mind not knowing how much!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow,

TV licenses went the way of the dodo here at least 25 years ago, I remember my parents having to pay and the adds on TV with Frank Thring about "have you checked your license?". I have never had to pay since I moved out of home, and that was some time ago :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wombat wrote:Wow,

TV licenses went the way of the dodo here at least 25 years ago, I remember my parents having to pay and the adds on TV with Frank Thring about "have you checked your license?". I have never had to pay since I moved out of home, and that was some time ago :mrgreen:

Nev
But whats your TV like, we get the best of it like negihbours, home and away, young doctors, sons and daughters, the sulivans.... In fact your country has a lot to answer for :wink:
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, do you think that the yanks have a monopoly on cultural imperialism?

But seriously folks.....................

Trouble is that people watch these shows and think we are ALL like that! :pale:

Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!

Nev

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wombat wrote:Trouble is that people watch these shows and think we are ALL like that! :pale:
Not me mate I thought you were all like Steve Irwin :wink:
and...... Twitter

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

AAAArrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!