Cycling from lands end to John O'groats

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oops sorry Andy, I haven't heard of it, but I do live a massive 9 miles away in the Wild Wiltshire Countryside. We live a sheltered life here in BOA!

Shame on me really. :(
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

ina

Naked in Scotland? No, that amounts to cruelty... I think we've got a serious human rights issue here!!!

Anyway, Andy, the bike might just be big enough - I'm 5'7", and women are supposed to have proportionately longer legs... You'd be welcome to it, if you can think of a way of getting it to you that doesn't cost a fortune and doesn't involve somebody driving all the way just to move the bike!

I would definitely try the Soilassociation. They are big on local food etc (and of course organics...), I know they are doing some work on incorporating the food mile factor into organic certification, so if you play all that up a bit, it might help. You might have to wear a t-shirt with their name on it for the trip - they would certainly want something in return!

Ina

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is fanstatic ina, don't know how to thank you!

About getting down here, well the only way I can think of is the post. the ones I were looking at on ebay were quoting £20 for postage , or what I have looked up is 2kg cost £15.90 special delivery. If you have paypal I can pay you the postage costs striaght into your account, but please PM me with how you would like the postage costs.

The food mile factor? Is that the distance that food travels before it ends up on the table? I thought perhaps a website dedicated to bikes and eco comunities could be a good one, that way the companies that sponser us will have an ad. We would also wear t-shirts.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

leedarkwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

Is that a t-shirt PLUS a binbag? Doesn't sound enough to me...

Have you put us as a stopover on your list? Still hoping for a longer visit!

Lee

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still working on the route lee, but yes you are on the list! Looks like it will be mostly Wales and Scotland as they seem to be the most eco friendly provences in this country. I left a post on ACL but there did not seem to be too much of a reponse, got a few ideas though.
and...... Twitter

leedarkwood
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have got three other places on smallholdings that are happy for you to stay depending on dates etc. One in west wales, one near ludlow on the English side (enchanting, you will love that one, very happy outdoor pigs!) and one right over on the East side of England that might not be so useful. Contact me off list?
Lee

hay331
Tom Good
Tom Good

Scotland

Not sure of your routes for Scotland but here are a couple of places of interest.
http://www.pillars.co.uk/contact.htm
http://www.cfec.org.uk/

The "Pillars of Hercules" Organic farm's website is to be updated soon. It really is a nice place and is part of the WWOOF organistation. You might be allowed to pitch a tent there, I know they have the odd tent/ caravan dotted about the place and places for the WWoofers to sleep. Both of my daughters work there between the farm and cafe and it is the only place they have ever worked where they don't want to come home! If you are coming that way I can check around for other places, maybe some of the workers at the farm will know of smallholdings in the area.
regards
hay331

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

funnily enough just been talking about wwoof things with a mate I met in the Library, the reason he moved to Bath in fact! Not sure if after a days cycling I would be up for digging. Perhaps will have to have a trip with digging first then come back later. Cheers for the links and yep will give you a shout lee, thanks. :lol:
and...... Twitter