Shed fire

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
glenniedragon
A selfsufficientish Regular

Shed fire

:crybaby:
Would you believe the daftness of some folks?
2 ole boys on the allotment were clearing one of the plots behind mine ready to be re-let. This plot had well established rhubarb, ras- and goose- berries....everything is so dry the ground would be difficult to dig,so what do they do? they light a match and chuck it on!
....had they dug fire breaks......NO
....did they have firefighting equipment standing by.....NO
....did they inform us around.........NO
The fire got out of hand, 3 panels of my shed damaged, one apple sapling burnt, rasberries damaged, black plastic mulching melted, lock cut by the Fire Brigade heaps of charred smelling compost left in heaps as the plastic bags melted around it..and now the discussion is whether the council should pay for the fire brigade call out.......looks like a battle field and smells worse......
I want to crawl under a large cold stone, shout me when its all over

Deb

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:( Yes I can believe it. My ex was and still is a retained firefighter. Some of the story. Nights when he would just get back home and be gone again because some little twat thought it funny to make call or set fire all night. My thoughts are with you.

Davina

Chickpea

I'd think the berks who set the fire should have to pay for the fire brigade call-out, as well as compensating all the people who suffered damage to crops etc.

shiney

Silly old gits! They should cough up for the damage.

I have the misfortune to live in a neighbourhood where some people burn plastic in their gardens regularly. Only today some stupid person (I am biting my lip here) started a fire at TEN this morning. The hottest day of the year, the stillest day of the year, at ten in the morning. All my windows were open, my washing out and the house full of smoke! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, Illegal here to burn off but the womble diagonally over the back persists in burning camel dung in he fireplace, even on bright and warm sunny winter days. :roll:

Linda wants to put the washing out and keeps threatening wombleicide!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

shiney

Womble is a good word and a nice word to describe the sort of ejits who burn stuff and also burn down sheds.

If I were glennie I would be really really really cross!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

Glennie... really sorry to hear that some fools have caused such devastation... they should most certainly be responsible for the costs incurred and compensate you and others affected too.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

The Chili Monster

Glenniedragon.
that's awful.
The ole boys are responsible ... they should reemburse the Fire Service.
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

Millymollymandy

Isn't there a law, no bonfires in summer? If there isn't, there ought to be.

glenniedragon

Thanks guys, you're a great communal shoulder!
One of the ole boys was a retired firefighter! should have known better-I don't think they'll be doing it again as the whole site knows and disapproves of their methods, I hope the council will look elsewhere for their help in the future as these guys are also the primary 'roundup' gardeners, they splash it around all the communal areas regardless of how close your plot is or wheter you're downwind (a line of potatoes have already been claimed victims). I went up to the lottie yesterday (I really have found it hard to be motivated since it happend-you know sort of wind taken from your wings feeling) to find the council had arranged to have the shed repaired, and I have to be honest it looked good! still a bit smelly but intact. All the burnt timber removed and replaced with lovely new shiplap, and 2x2 inside, they had also treated it all !
so things are looking up down here
thanks guys
kind thoughts
Deb

Shirley

I'm amazed that a retired firefighter would be so blinking stupid!!!!!!

Really glad to hear that they've fixed up the shed quickly... that's a start isn't it :cheers:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

Only got round to reading this today... It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some folks are. And they probably even thought they'd be doing everybody a great favour, clearing that mess up, and should be praised as benefactors of mankind!

Good to hear that at least part of the damage has been fixed already. As to folk going round with the herbicide - oh, don't mention that, it makes me mad. And I can't even complain about it. I've kind of adopted a strip of land along the back of the farm, where so far nothing but weeds grew, and have planted some shrubs and flowers (and potatoes this year, due to a glut of seed tatties!). The farm manager doesn't mind me doing that - I do it in my spare time - but he cannot see any reason why he should stay away from it with the roundup! He only sprays along the side of it, but still, it drifts, the roots go outside the bed, too, so some of the raspberries that grow there have turned rather yellow, and suddenly I'm not so keen anymore on all that stuff that I was hoping to harvest there... :cry:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

shiney wrote:Womble is a good word and a nice word to describe the sort of ejits who burn stuff and also burn down sheds.

If I were glennie I would be really really really cross!
no, wombles where recyclers! :)
The Wombles

Underground, Overground, Wombling Free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind.

Uncle Bulgaria,
He can remember the days when he wasn't behind The Times,
With his map of the World.
Pick up the papers and take them to Tobermory!

Wombles are organized, work as a team.
Wombles are tidy and Wombles are clean.
Underground, Overground, wombling free,
The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we!

People don't notice us, they never see,
Under their noses a Womble may be.
We womble by night and we womble by day,
Looking for litter to trundle away.

We're so incredibly, utterly devious
Making the most of everything.
Even bottles and tins.
Pick up the pieces and make them into something new,
Is what we do!
damn damn shame about the fire and allotment mess. total idiots for trying to clear a dry area with fire. with out any form of fire break. bloody noddies!
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

Chickpea

I just finished reding the first Womble book to my kids as a bedtime story. I kept it since I was tiny - it still has my name written in the front in approx. 3-year-old's penmanship, much to the amusement of my own children. They loved it, despite the mild sexism and dated manners.

Shirley

I LOVE the wombles... must look out some of their books in the secondhand shop.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr