What car would Jesus Drive?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Ok...

OK!

OKAY!!!

...Dido IS a tad repetitive.. :mrgreen:

wulf

Martin wrote:here we have someone who can walk on water, transmute water into wine, and as a throwaway, resurrect the dead! - who on earth imagines he'd need to drive? :roll:
While there were miracles, the "incarnation" (all that "the Word became flesh" stuff - Jesus becoming human) wasn't designed as a grand world tour of the year dot. It was more as if the Queen left her pearls behind, put on overalls and went and worked in a factory for a bit. Driving down in the Rolls wouldn't be the way to stand alongside everyone else on the factory floor!

... and, if you think Christian music is the same old, same old every week in every place, you definitely need to do some research :wink: (as a Christian and a musician I'm qualified to say that - I suspect the same would be true of many other faiths that use music).

Wulf

Martin

having photographed a fair few weddings, I've been subjected to most types of religious music - you often get an organist who can't keep time and plays duff notes, whilst the octogenarian choir warbles around the tune! Even worse are some of the "happy clappy" evangelical churches, who work on the "let's deafen God" premise (I love loud GOOD music, and can be found at the front during reggae concerts), but they just leave you with perforated eardrums! :roll:
Personally, I'd have thought God would have had a far better and more eclectic taste in music, perhaps according to mood - a nice pastoral symphony perhaps when he's in a good mood, "Ride of the Valkyries" when he's in the mood for a bit of smiting......... :roll:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Boots

Having boogied in and out of quite a few houses of worship, simply because I like to dance... I think Wulf is pretty much on it.

A church is made up of people. People define god. So, if you have some funky base player racking up the down beat, alongside a dare thou drummer and some let loose lead you can have yourself a fine time no matter what the words/inflection are.

What's JC drive? Well, that too depends on the people. I say a donkey... mainly cos I tend to lean toward history and consider life pretty cyclic. Hedgie might call the donkey a broomstick in his world... Nev might say heck the man would walk with the people... Andy might be waiting to bump into the entity on a bus!

I don't care how he gets here, but if he's coming, I wish he'd hurry up! Cos this world of ours is in quite a mess and we need someone to come and sort out the trinity of Bush, Blair and Howard rather quickly.... :roll:

Under the circumstances maybe he'll need an armoured vehicle? Anyone got a spare tank or Hummer APC?

wulf

I believe that plans for the return visit include the legions of angels that were left behind for the first one, so I think the armoured tank might be optional :wink:

Driving back to somewhere near the point, I think the question has got value as long as it isn't taken literally. What it is really driving at is not speculation but challenging people to think about how their alleged beliefs get applied to their lives - if you don't live it, can you really claim to believe it?

While "WWJD?" isn't going to suit everybody (and I don't think this is the place for hammering out - or hammering into each other about - religious beliefs) the meta-question still applies.

Wulf

ps. apparently the early disciples drove a mid-sized Honda but did pool it, suggesting some ecological consciousness - they were all together in one Accord (Acts 2:1 - KJV).... :lol:

Martin

nice to find someone with a sense of humour! - "one accord" - brilliant! :cheers:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Boots

Yep, definately worth ten points that one!
:mrgreen:

... those Angels... are they harp players by any chance? The world needs more harmonica, I reckon.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good one Wulf! There's a man who knows his theology!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Cheezy

Well seeing that JC was said to be a man of the people, he'd probably have a people carrier!.

And I suspect it'd be converted to run on ethanol, since he's dead handy with the water to wine, it's just be a matter of distilling it and you'd save a fortune on fuel costs!.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those feet in ancient times walked upon englands green and pleasant lands. - as the song goes. I think that he had no use for a car and walked everywhere. then the disiples would catch up with him in there hondas :wink:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I think he'd use the bus and hope the kind hearted drivers would let him ride for free in exchange for a good story.

:flower: Davina

ina

To get back to "what would Jesus want me to do" - what really annoys me are those 200% Christians who never think twice about damaging the environment with all their travelling around by plane and cars... I have some of them in my family. So far I've avoided discussions on this subject - want to keep the family peace. Funny enough, I'm the least religious of the lot, but the most environment-conscious - and I've always thought that, although I don't call myself a Christian, I'm the one who most behaves like one! A nephew of mine even works as an engineer on air planes. Never seems to have thought of what that does to the planet as a whole. I suppose he thinks it's alright as long as he says grace before each meal...

And as to music - if you like (good!) choir music, most of that happens to be religious. I'll never forget the time I sang Brahm's German Requiem with the choir; it sent chills up and down my spine, that's how good it was.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

ina wrote:what really annoys me are those 200% Christians who never think twice about damaging the environment with all their travelling around by plane and cars....
That really was the imputus of starting this thread, I personally think that if the greatest comandment is "love everyone as if they were your brother" were to be followed then surely this means not polluting the environment and leaving the best world you can from all of our futures. I mean Jesus must have been selfsufficientish as he made homebrew:drunken: well sort of.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Chickpea

That's how I see it, Andy. I believe that all of God's creation is a great gift to us, and it would be very ungrateful to abuse and damage a gift someone gave to you. I think we should treat the world with gratitude and care, and hand it over to our children in no worse a state than we found it.

ina

Exactly my thinking - independent on whether you believe a deity of some kind created the world, or whether it was just a coincidence that it came into being...
I know a lot of what I'd call "proper" Christians, who do take care of what's around us. Unfortunately I've also met a lot of hypocrites in my life, who called themselves Christians, but tended to be rather selfish in their actions.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)