Creating woodland for coppicing.

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
troutrunner
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Creating woodland for coppicing.

I didn't know quite where to put this post, hope it is OK here.

The thing is I have about 5 acres of land, I used to keep sheep and other livestock, now just a few chooks. I have been messing with growing trees from seed over the last few years to plant around the place and now feel I would like to take it all on a bit.

I am collecting ideas and opinions and reading up on the idea of coppicing, I think this winter I will try to afford to plant out about an acre with Hazel and Ash mixed together as I have read they go well and another area, perhaps half an acre with willow.

The things I need advice and ideas on are what species of Willow, what products to eventually make and anything else folk can throw in the pot.

Thanks in anticipation, Paul

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Creating woodland for coppicing.

Can't advise you really, Paul, but a couple of years ago I was looking into growing willow here. I was mainly looking at which type of willow would grow up here and found a couple of great sites that gave good information, not just about growing conditions but also the purpose behind all the different types. Of course the only one I can remember is Osiers Willow - for basket-making - but there were tons of others, and also beautiful different coloured ones.

Can't tell you which sites they were but a quick google would bring them up easily.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

I would pass on a recommendation made to me, and I am in a very similar possition. Try Martin Crawford, Forest Gardening book. It will inspire you I am sure.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Have a look at Ben Laws Book on permaculture and woodland management http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodland-Way-Pe ... 851&sr=1-5

Some great advice in there.

If you're planning on building "Green wood" furniture, Sweet Chestnut is by far the most durable coppice for this. Hazel is great for pea sticks, charcoal and hurdle making, as well as chairs and a myriad of other things.

Pick wetter land for willow But avoid drainage areas, and don't forget to plant a few oak too.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

jimmyh1988
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

ash is good for growing a quick crop for logs an firewood hazel has many uses but i wouldn't expect a return for at least 3 years you've got to let the trees mature before you start havesting you will find thqat ash becomes a bit of a weed after a while because it self seeds itself .

red

we approached a local nursery for advice.. perhaps your local tree warden could point you in the direction of a good local nursery?

we have just planted up a strip at the boggy bottom of one of our fields.. and because of the wet conditions went for alder and willow and ash. We looked at what was already growing successfully nearby and built on that.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

How lovely :iconbiggrin: I have trees (ash, horse chestnut, holly, hawthorn) in pots in a small back yard and would love to be able to let them out into the wild. I was able to re-home the oak into a large surrey garden belonging to a friend which was a relief, but the others are pretending to be bonsai whilst waiting their turn :(
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

oldjerry

There are loads of books that will go into great detail on planting/maintaining a copppice.Most important is the continual maintainance of a coppice(without it it simply becomes decidous woodland,nice,but not what you are setting out to do) i.e.create a decent long term source of timber for whatever purpose.
I would advise you create a coppiced area with a mix of just ash and hazel,plant your willow in straight lines seperately,maybe as an edge to the whole plantation.
Money:the actual Hazel/ash/willow whips are cheap,the rabbit proofing aint!
PM me if you want any Tree nurseries details etc. Best Wishes

troutrunner
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for all the replies, certainly food for thought, It is a long term project I do realise, my middle son is to go study Arboriculture at a local college next term, the plan being, to help him along a little.
oldjerry wrote:I would advise you create a coppiced area with a mix of just ash and hazel,plant your willow in straight lines seperately,maybe as an edge to the whole plantation.
Yes oldjerry, you have my thoughts exactly, hazel and ash with willow in a seperate area. This coming year I plan to plant out about an acre max. and see how things develope.