Mushroom ID

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
GazK
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Mushroom ID

Hello everyone, I'm a n00b both to this forum and to 'room identification. Got a good book, but It's not helping with identifying this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45306032@N ... 064675540/

## Habitat ##
Time picked: mid Oct
Location: grass in front garden, previously location of conifer (9 months ago), shop-bought compost recently laid down
Habit: 3 fungi, spread out

Smell: like a domesticated mushroom

## Cap ##
Dia (mature): 8cm
Shape: Convex when young, becoming hat-like (conical) when mature
Margin: flat / beginning to turn up a little when mature
Veil: small amount present on margin when young, none when mature
Texture: dry, velvety to touch, firm flesh, breaks cleanly
Skin: peels easily
Colour: cream, uniform when young, slight darkening to brown in centre when mature
Gills: free, cream colour, fairly crowded, flexible
Spore print: white

## Stem ##
Length (mature): 6.5cm
Colour: white
Ring: None
Shape: Tapering from broad base
Attachment to cap: At centre

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Mushroom ID

Please don't take my word for this but it looks like an ordinary mushroom to me but someone on here will no doubt know exactly what it is.

When I used to live in Dorset we used to go out early in the morning and pick bag fulls of mushrooms, thinking back we never had any books for identification :dontknow: Wonder I'm still alive :shock: Now being older and a lot wiser I only buy our mushrooms from the farmshop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:flower: Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

GazK
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

pelmetman wrote:Please don't take my word for this but it looks like an ordinary mushroom to me but someone on here will no doubt know exactly what it is.

When I used to live in Dorset we used to go out early in the morning and pick bag fulls of mushrooms, thinking back we never had any books for identification :dontknow: Wonder I'm still alive :shock: Now being older and a lot wiser I only buy our mushrooms from the farmshop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:flower: Sue
Sue

- I thought the same, *except* for the white gills and spores. I've never bought a mushroom with those.

Slippery Jack
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Gaz,

I suggest that it's maybe Leucoagaricus leucothites or something similar. There may have been a ring that has come away. The shape of cap and gills is a close match; does your specimen have a hollow centre running up the stem? Check it;

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/ ... efault.asp

White spores and gills are always a sign for caution. If this is what I think it is, it's not poisonous but not edible either.

GazK
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for that Jack - looks very plausible. Stem is in the bin now but I've recorded the details and I'll check if they reappear.