Yesterday's haul!

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Yesterday's haul!

Well, thanks to a recent cool dry spell after lots of warm rainy weather all the mushrooms near us are raring to go! I went out for a forage-y cycle yesterday and got some Chanterelles, a couple of decent sized parasol mushrooms, and three good sized mosaic puffballs (calvatia utriformis). I breadcrumbed and deep fried some of the parasols (nice), also the puffballs (not really sure about them, the flavour wasn't all that... Anyone else any opinions on them?) and used the chanterelles in a risotto- yum!

Not a bad start!

Here's hoping for a fruitful season for all ishy mushroom hunters!

Kate :wave:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Yesterday's haul!

Yup, me too. But fortunately kind neighbours often bring me a few horse mushrooms from a field down the lane.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Green Aura wrote:Yup, me too. But fortunately kind neighbours often bring me a few horse mushrooms from a field down the lane.
I have neighbours like yours, and their son is a wiz at finding cepes, "sorry I don't know the english name" so he brings us enough every year for us to conserve. God bless "Good Neighbours"
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Carltonian Man

Wow, fantastic haul Kit-e-Kate. Good for you. Re puffballs, they’re not a particularly robust flavoured mushroom. The younger ones remind me of plain egg white or tofu whereas older specimens that are starting to near the end of their culinary usefulness tend to have a slightly unappetising essence of wet Labrador about them. They certainly benefit from mixing with stronger flavours. I use small puffballs fried in butter and salt before adding them to a frittata or as part of a mixed mushroom medley on toast. Bigger specimens can be sliced, coated in breadcrumbs or oats and fried in butter. When they’ve flattened down in the pan you could cover with frizzled smoked bacon bits and melt grated cheese over the top before popping them in a crusty bread roll and eating like a burger. I love them like that.. :thumbright:

kit-e-kate
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Carltonian Man wrote:The younger ones remind me of plain egg white or tofu whereas older specimens that are starting to near the end of their culinary usefulness tend to have a slightly unappetising essence of wet Labrador about them.
Yeah the texture seemed ok, but i think they were probably quite mature- there was a slight wet dog tang to them! :pukeright: