.....find the best utility companies?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: .....find the best utility companies?

I AM GOING CRAZY NOW!!! HELP!

I´ve managed to sort out my broadband but the electricity is driving me nuts, every site offers a different estimated usage (of which i have no idea, because the house hasn´t been lived in for some time, and i´ve been off-grid for years) varying from 300 - 1200 quid!! it seems that either n-power or british gas are cheapest....but if anyone has some spare time on their hands i´d appreciate other´s opinions.

here´s the deal, it´s a 3/4 bed 200 year old mid terrace (postcode sy20 9pr), 2 adults and 2 tinies occupying 2 or 3 bedrooms. No mains gas, storage heaters in all rooms, though I suspect we will use the fireplaces downstairs. currently on scottish power with economy 7 (i have a vague idea what that is, but do i have to use my washing machine etc in the middle of the night to make it worthwhile?....and if anyone can explain how one uses a night storage heater that would be helpful too :lol: ). I suspect we will get ourselves a gas cooker just for preference sake (though poss only gas hob) and we cook a lot.

i know the sun is shining, but the devil makes work for idle hands ;-)

TIA clara
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Millymollymandy

Sorry Clara I can't help but these problems would really put me off moving back to the UK because it was all so simple in my day - BT, no such thing as internet, British Gas and you got whatever leccy co serviced your area. Simples! :lol:

Good luck with it all though! :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I support the person who quoted the utilities warehouse as quite a good starting point. S/he is right in that you can put t all of your services with this co. You then get an itemised bill every month but only one standing order. So there is no chance that you overlook one of your outgoings. Also I am careful/ mean with money but that is not the same as poor. therefore on the last day of every month i email my gas and elec readings and i get a bill that reflects exactly what i have used and can monitor and make savings if i know next month is going to be really tight financially ( lots of outgoings ) I can simply not use mains as a source of heating but make on effort on collecting driftwood . This special effort is for me not a permanant option because firstly the whole house is not warm and secondly there is all the dust and for a hoarder like me that is a real problem.
hope it works out for you and if not well move it only takes a month to get to a more suitable provider. good luck and welcome back
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham