Want to leave teaching and don't know what to do

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Want to leave teaching and don't know what to do

Thanks everyone so much for your advice.
I am feeling a little more positive today, but still don't want to teach. I feel like I dont really want to teach full time at all.
I want to do lots of differant things like some evening classes for adults, running GCSE art courses and art lessons for home educated children, doing workshops in schools etc.
Does this sound possible? I just need to be brave enough, not feeling very brave at the moment though. Need to make a plan.
I think at the end of the day the maternity money isnt as important as being happy.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Helsbels,

Your Education Authority will run a support service. Contact them and get some professional advice and support, you are quite obviously suffering from battered teacher syndrome and would benefit from an outside opinion. They might even be able to point out ways forward that you are too close to the situation to see for yourself.

Do Berkshire run Art Centres? Hampshire have them as joint leisure service/education facilities. Speaking from experience they're a lot more fun to work in than secondary schools. Go for it!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I haven't read all of the posts, so maybe someone's already mentioned it, but have you looked into asking at a local Montesori (not sure about the spelling!) school? They need qualified teachers, but it is a VERY different system to the state schools. Worth a try?

But good luck, just remember that you are a good teacher, otherwise you wouldn't care so much! Depression is awful, and I hope you can find some support, I find that thinking of a positive thing in my life (be it the one child in a bad class that responds well or a good friend) every time my mind drifts towards the negative really helps.

:hugish:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

HennyPenny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Helsbells I can empathise with how you are feeling at the moment... I am feeling much the same about my job. As you have some ideas for using your skills differently, why don't you find out if there is a local enterprise or "start your own business" type place in your area. Most have them and they are great places for getting support to formalise your ideas and there may be grants etc available to help you get started.

All the best

Hennypenny
x

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

:hugish: I know how you feel. I went through a very stressful time at one company and was determined to leave accountancy. The next job I went to, on a six month contract, helped me to realise that not all jobs are as bad. A month off between that and the next contract helped me to forget all the bad times and six months off between the last contract and this really helped me to re-evaluate my life.

Someone has already mentioned contracting and I have found that it works for me. True, each contract has it's own problems but they are all different. In the last place there was a lot of politics and frustration but it was close to home and the hours were flexible. Here it's the travelling and the hours that are a pain but the people are great and there aren't the same political issues. For me it works but you do have to be brave to give up the security of a regular wage.

Good luck
Whatever you chose to do.

Zoe

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

hi helsbells

you might have thought of this already, but just in case... perhaps you could use your art and teaching skills to work with people with disabilities? As an example, a centre I know of which cares for people with severe epilepsy employs people to run art classes and craft projects for the residents, who are of a wide range of ages. It'd mean not giving up art or teaching, but working without a curriculum or targets, which I imagine would make for a much more enjoyable job. And I'm sure that as an experienced teacher you'd be excellent for this sort of role. I'm sure other centres around the country must run similar schemes. Whatever you decide, I hope you find something which makes you happy :hugish:

Biscombe
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

HI Helsbells,
I'm right there with you, and feel for you. I'm a music teacher and head the department, I don't necessarily hate my job but the stress I'm under as the school grows makes me ill. I can't seem to keep on top of things. I've just had 3 weeks off with vertigo which was stress related, went back to work and bang!, hit the wall again crying all the time, trying to catch up missing 3 weeks just before Christmas is hell.

Have you thought of doing after school classes pitching something different to schools? Also, before I moved to Spain I worked as a music teacher in a secure unit for young offenders, which was 90% rewarding. Smaller classes with most of the kids really wanting to learn. The pay is much higher too.

I wish you well, and know exactly how you feel, If you need to talk PM me XXXXX hugs and hugs

Clara

Someone mentioned Montessori, have you thought about Waldorf education? I guess you´d have to do some training, but I would think it would be a wonderful job and creative in all senses.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

red

Clara wrote:Someone mentioned Montessori, have you thought about Waldorf education? I guess you´d have to do some training, but I would think it would be a wonderful job and creative in all senses.
I think they like their teachers to truly embrace the steiner waldorf way of thinking.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Clara

red wrote:
Clara wrote:Someone mentioned Montessori, have you thought about Waldorf education? I guess you´d have to do some training, but I would think it would be a wonderful job and creative in all senses.
I think they like their teachers to truly embrace the steiner waldorf way of thinking.

I´m sure, but I was thinking about the seasonality and the celebratory side suiting HelBells ish and christian beliefs.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

gdb
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Helsbells

Can't offer much help but if you speak a foreign language (very well) then i may be able to put some translation work your way.

It's not very well paid but it can help tide a person over between jobs.

(French and Swedish I can do myself but I do sometimes come across people needing a German and/or Spanish translator).
http://www.geoffbunn.com geoff bunn art and artist

Helsbells

Hi everyone,
thanks again for all the helpful messages.
I have looked into Montissori and Steiner schools but the only ones local to me are primary of nursery schools. I am trained in secondary art and design (dont speak any other languages unfortunately) and think it would be unlikely that they would employ me with no experince in nursery or primary education. Although I would be interested as I like their alternative approach and honestly I think the state system in this country is totally corrupt. Also the montessori nursery is over an hours drive away.
I am thinking about doing aupply teaching then I can choose when I want to work and in my free time try to set up my own business. The trouble is the prospect of not having a full time job where I know what to expect more or less, every day and which is local and convenient is very frightening, I dont feel very brave at the moment! It would be a big change.

red

Helsbells wrote:I am thinking about doing aupply teaching then I can choose when I want to work and in my free time try to set up my own business. The trouble is the prospect of not having a full time job where I know what to expect more or less, every day and which is local and convenient is very frightening, I dont feel very brave at the moment! It would be a big change.
well, you can carry on where you are for now, but knowing you can chuck it in at any point and go the supply way. meantime form your plans and ideas in your spare time. Do you research, get prepared. then.. either your job will improve, or you will hate it even more and the jump will be easier, or your research and preparationg will come together and that will give you the confidence to jump.

seems to me you are on the road to a different career path.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Helsbells

seems to me you are on the road to a different career path
I really hope so. I went out for a meal with some of the older ladies from my school a few weeks ago and they just spent the whole time moaning about how terrible the school is. I asked them why they didnt leave and they said it was because their pay was good and it was convenient.
I really dont want to end up like them.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Helsbels,

I've been on the supply list for 3 years now, work about a fifth of the time and am not that far down on income. The freedom to be ish in between is wonderful!

The downside is not having that relationship with your own class and the fact that you can be paid up to 2 months in arrears.

The best way to do it is to take your dfee number and a copy of your crb round to those schools where you'd like to work, let them see your face and know that you are available. Once you've been there and they see the quality of your work they'll have you back again and again. On the other hand if you find you don't want a relationship with any particular school you can just turn them down -unless you're desperate for the money.

Go for it!!!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.