generator as back up for solar power

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
sandyshore
Tom Good
Tom Good

generator as back up for solar power

i need to buy a new generator, and am having solar power put in too. i want the generaot to start automatically once the battery power from the solar power fails. do i need a special generator or just a special switch, and would the special switch work with any generator?

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: generator as back up for solar power

Hello, what you need is an A.M.F. panel (automatic mains failure). If your mains fails, then the amf detects the loss of power. There is a signal wire connected to the ignition switch of the genset. The genset will fire up, & the amf will switch the load from mains to genset. On re-instatement of mains, then amf will switch load back from the genset to mains & then shut the generator down. You need input cable from mains, & input cable from genset (into the amf) & 1 output cable to property. Hope this makes sense & is of some use. Cheers.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

sunnybp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, sandy
What you need is hot standby power system. It is a controller, which can be used to switch between different power system.
Technical support engineer
Sunny billion power LTD
www.sunnybp.com

sandyshore
Tom Good
Tom Good

thank you both so much

however i am a electricity and solar power bumpkin and need to know 1st do sunnybp.com stock what i require and are you able to ship it from china to portugal? and 2nd i think i need an electrical start generator.. however what is one of these? is it simply a generator with an on off switch to start it rather than a pull handle?

much thanks for bearing with me

pumpy

Hi sandy, you need an electric start genset. When the mains fail then a relay in the amf 'drops out' & closes a circuit which is in line with the key-start circuit of the genset ignition system. I know it sounds a bit complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straightforward. The whole set-up is fully automatic & can be more or less tailored to your needs. Generally speaking, for domestic purposes, 80amps @ 240 volts will cover your needs. However if you only need a genset for emergency back-up to cover the basics (i.e. not using the shower when the oven is on etc) then you could halve that requirement to, say, 40amps which at 240volt would require a 17.5 kva genset e.g. There are different permutations, depending on your requirements. Some gensets are dedicated to 240v & some can be re-wired to 415v configuration.....this will determine the kva output required. You could try contacting F.G. Wilson in Belfast (who manufacture gensets)......i'm sure they can give the information you require.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

sunnybp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, Sandy

Just like pumpy said, you should find the specification of your solar power system. Ask some qualified elecitrican can find the answer. The simple system diagram as attach file. The controller will test the AC output from solar power inverter, if the AC power is enough low, the controller will start the generator to supply power.
Attachments
Hot standby power system
Hot standby power system
hot standby system.JPG (13.58 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
Sunny billion power LTD
www.sunnybp.com

sunnybp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, Sandy
if you want, please send mail to us. we will give you some technical suggestion.
Sunny billion power LTD
www.sunnybp.com

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

sandyshore wrote:i need to buy a new generator, and am having solar power put in too. i want the generaot to start automatically once the battery power from the solar power fails. do i need a special generator or just a special switch, and would the special switch work with any generator?
Hi Sandy,

you say you need a generator and are having solar put in. If you have not got your solar/battery system up and running yet then buying the correct inverter/charger will go a long way to solving your problems. Most of the reputable inverter/chargers have a switch built in that will automatically start and stop a generator. It varies with manufactures from a simple 'volt free' contact that opens or closes when your battery bank gets low and does the opposite when the bank is topped up. To much more sophisticated ones that have a heat/choke facility and starter cranking facility that can be tailored to almost any generator. The more simple ones with just the on/off switch require a generator that has an auto start or 'startomatic' facility whereas the latter ones can be used with almost any generator that has electric start.

This is how I do it http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress. ... the-house/ my system incorporates wind/hydro/sun and diesel generator and I suggest that you speak to an expert because designing a system that suits your power requirements is crucial. The right battery/solar/inverter/generator combination will save you money in the long run. You will find help on this site http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php

Good luck, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/