The dumbest ID ever???!!!

Want your Mushroom ID? Ask here and also look at some of the old posts here to see what you might have. Make sure you use a field guide and triple check using google images.
Peggy Sue
A selfsufficientish Regular

The dumbest ID ever???!!!

OK I think there are field mushrooms in the horse's field, I used to eat them confidently, then looked into it a bit and got scared so stopped eating them. Now the waste seems a shame so it there anything else (dreadful) they could be?
They look just like large filed mushrooms you buy- up to the size of a dinner plate, quite flat, dark brown gills, easy to peel, no wierd spots or anything. Growing in a grassy open field with horses.

If there's any doubt I'll stick to the puffballs that also grow there!
Just Do It!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The dumbest ID ever???!!!

Almost certainly they are Horse Mushrooms (and not because it's a horse field :lol: )
They are indeed good to eat and if they are the size of dinner plates then there's not much else they can be.
I've eaten tons of them over the years, but unfortunately they (or field mushrooms) don't grow around here. :(
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Peggy Sue

Sounds promising. It's the one thing I've really failed to grow at home mushrooms (not the only thing but one thing I use lots of!).
Such a shame the horses just trample them into the ground and I ahve to go to the shop and hand over my hard earned cash- I'll risk it once again I think :bom:
Just Do It!

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is this what they look like.
Mushrooms from local field
Mushrooms from local field
mushrooms.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
I ate these at the weekend, and I'm still here to tell the tale. They were growing in a local field. I no expert, but they looked like those you get in the shops but spent a little while checking on the web in case there were anything similar that was not edible, or worse toxic. I didn't find anything. The closest was a type where the cap's diameter was smaller than the length of the stalk, and they were classified as simply 'inedible'.

If in any doubt don't eat, seems to be a good motto. And if I eat something new I like to take photos, just in case.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

Millymollymandy

We can't buy that kind of mushroom in France which is such a shame as I miss things like stuffed mushroom and any dish which has those lovely steak like black gilled open mushrooms in it which really enrich the sauce. :( :( :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Peggy Sue

Cloud wrote:Is this what they look like.
Yes thats exactly what they look like- I really must learn to use my camera on the phone and down load photos :oops:
Just Do It!