25 fleeces

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
red
A selfsufficientish Regular

25 fleeces

I was at my knitting group (dont laugh - we meet in a pub.. :mrgreen: ) and this older lady was interested that I was knitting this homespun black wool

She wanted to know where I got it from. so I told her that someone had offered us a black fleece, so we said yes!

Shepherds get so little for wool these days and nothing for coloured fleeces they usually chuck them away,

So... she says her son works for a farmer.. and he burns the fleeces..would I be interested.
Oh yes says me. well... I didn't realise - but there are 25 of them - any day now too!
They are texel crosses. I dont know much about the texel sheep but looked them up and apparantly
The wool is highly crinkled with a dense, medium length staple
dunno what it is crossed with though
or where we would store them

thing is we are struggling to process the fleeces from our own sheep...

what should I do ?- take them or let him burn them....?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

sleepyowl

Re: 25 fleeces

Id personally take them & use them as & when you get chance then process them
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fleece makes a very good weed proof insulating mulch around trees - it naturally felts but will eventually break down. It would be an ideal material to line a raised bed with to fully supress weeds before filling - has no nasties in it like cardboards and old carpets do. :dave:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

invisiblepiper

Could you take just a couple? - thaen you won't feel overwhelmed and its a more reasonable quantity to work with. :sunny:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Shirley

Offer some on freecycle - get her blessing first, but if she's said that they get burnt I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

Jed - thanks for the tip on lining a raised bed. We've got some old fleece that isn't that great that I was trying to give away, but will now use it in the garden instead :flower: :cheers:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Big Al

red wrote:I was at my knitting group (dont laugh - we meet in a pub.. :mrgreen: ) and this older lady was interested that I was knitting this homespun black wool

She wanted to know where I got it from. so I told her that someone had offered us a black fleece, so we said yes!

Shepherds get so little for wool these days and nothing for coloured fleeces they usually chuck them away,

So... she says her son works for a farmer.. and he burns the fleeces..would I be interested.
Oh yes says me. well... I didn't realise - but there are 25 of them - any day now too!
They are texel crosses. I dont know much about the texel sheep but looked them up and apparantly
The wool is highly crinkled with a dense, medium length staple
dunno what it is crossed with though
or where we would store them

thing is we are struggling to process the fleeces from our own sheep...

what should I do ?- take them or let him burn them....?
I'd take them and if nothing else stick them in the loft for now. Tie a couple round the hot water tank, lay some on the floor..... Give some to the local bank manager to let them see what a real fleece looks like not one of the fleeces they use on us mear mortals...

I feel a 101 things for sheep fleeces coming on......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

red

the thing is 25 fleeces is a lot of volume - and it appears to be an all or nothing deal.

wont be sticking in the loft... as not treated against parasites.. but like inviting the wool moth in - and the rats a nice nest

hmm no its either distribute amongst others or refuse them.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

etsy shop

blog

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I'd vote 'go for it'
my first fleece was a Texel - (though it was quite short due to the sheep being elderly and a pet) it's lovely bouncy and soft.
How wonderfull to be offered fleeces for free :D
such a waste to burn it - can be composted or used to cover delicate plantings if it's no use for spinning.
I could scour some for you Red and then pack them up in muslin bags which should keep the moth out
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

red wrote:the thing is 25 fleeces is a lot of volume-....................
hmm no its either distribute amongst others or refuse them.

Did you Red?
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

red

unfortunately, I've been unwell so did not go to the knitting group again since. however next time, I'll prolly say yes - seems there might be a few takers in the group now I have taken the plunge. and could freecycle if necessary. and worst case would be i would have to dispose of them i guess.. but I dont think it wil come to that
Red

etsy shop

blog

multiveg
Living the good life
Living the good life

I still have one fleece that I bought in July 2007 (?) - it is still tied up and I can't get it undone so it is just sitting there.... Waiting..... and Waiting....
Did I read/hear somewhere about using fleece in loft insulation?