101 tips to help Quit smoking

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

pskipper wrote:Related to 18

I do wonder why people talk about their right to smoke rather than their right to give other people cancer... If it just smelt nasty and wasn't hurting anyone else then I would be supporting others right to smoke. For those who claim it doesn't cause cancer my response is 'Tell that to Roy Castle!' (Rant over, and I promise that none of it was aimed personally at people who have posted about enjoying their cigarettes)
Um...Roy Castle chose to work in smoky places - he could have worked in an office or in a smoke free environment.

it seems that whenever there's anythign to be said about health, the smokers get a good bashing. We pay enough taxes on each box of cigarettes or pouch of tobacco. If every smoker was to stop next National Non Smoking Day (what a cheek! I don't see National No Drinking Day, or national No Driving Day) then the economy would fall within a week.

Its about time other anti social habits were stopped too - why is it that drunk people are still allowed to pee up buildings? Why are they allowed to shout abuse and pick fights? Why are they allowed to drop litter? Why does no-one complain that bar staff are under threat from the health implications from someone else's drinking (i have seen noses broken...). Still, i don't see any big campaigns to stop people drinking in places that there are non drinkers.

What about the public peeing as i previousy mentioned? I'm getting sick of going somewhere only to see men at fences/walls peeing freely. I was at solstice watching sunrise over a line of men peeing against the fence. It smells, its nasty, and there are planety of toilets about. it also carrie diseases, and will spread them.

Driving: When there is National No Driving Day, i'll be happy! I don't smoke in bus shelters/stops. I don't like the idea of making other people smell (which, by the way, i don't - my personal hygiene is pretty good, and i don't smoke in the house - just to let the person know who mentioned it earlier). However, in the act of standing at the bus stop, i get covered in ewxhaust fumes!! When walking to work, i take in more carcinogens than someone standing next to me whilst i smoke.

So, yes, it is my right to smoke, as much as it is someone else's right to drink, another person's right to drive, and what seems like every bloke's right to pee in public.

Rant over...

Sassinak
Tom Good
Tom Good

My personal peeve is spitting Grrrr

The thought of stepping in someones phleghm (sp??) is absolutely disgusting and yet it happens all the time.

Yes I do smoke and have no objections to smoking outside, I just wish we could be allowed the luxury of a roof over our heads. If it is made clear that this is a smoking area - enter at your own risk, then surely we could be allowed a little comfort :(

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

the.fee.fairy wrote: Why does no-one complain that bar staff are under threat from the health implications from someone else's drinking (i have seen noses broken...).

you could use the argument you used on Roy Castle
Um...Roy Castle chose to work in smoky places - he could have worked in an office or in a smoke free environment.
in the same way here - ie people dont have to chose to work in pubs.
To be fair to RC though, he was a musician, so he could not work in an office (not that that would help - back then everyone smoked in offices too)- he did not know he was endangering himself by passive smoking at the time, and he used his dying days to get the message out. From next month, people in his position will not be obliged to breath in other peoples smoke if they want to play in bars and clubs.
Still, i don't see any big campaigns to stop people drinking in places that there are non drinkers.
I agree that alcohol brings problems too. but its not the same - I drink, my OH does not, me having a glass of wine with dinner tonight (rhubarb wine, very nice) did not mean OH had to have some too. My drinking alcohol will not affect his health.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

The Chili Monster

19) completely unnatural, but zyban worked for me. I'd abused NRT for years (to survive lengthy bus/train/plane/coach trips).

Gave up 2 and 1/2 years ago and have never looked back ...

Before I come across as a total smug ex-smoker, like TFF I have reservations about the ban ... I don't see how you can ban its use in public and justify the tax levied on it.

"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

red

The Chili Monster wrote:Before I come across as a total smug ex-smoker, like TFF I have reservations about the ban ... I don't see how you can ban its use in public and justify the tax levied on it.
yes there is something slightly inconsistant about it - 'dont smoke but if you do give us the money' course the government would argue that were are helping by making it expensive. but it doesn;t help does it.

tbh I think the government's motives are so they don't get sued by non smokers who suffer the effects of smoking. they are covering their backs

still you could make that another way to give up:

20. put up a picture of your least favourite politician and the phrase 'the taxes on smoking pay his/her wages'... that might be enough incentive!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

21) because of the impact the industry has before the cigarettes even make it to your lips.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/internationa ... nment.html
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

wulf

As a gigging musician who plays a fair number of dates in pubs, I can't wait until the ban comes in. The jazz band is playing at The Constitution in Camden on 1 July and I am looking forward to trying a smoke free pub gig experience. I do try and play at sensible volume levels though, just so no-one can accuse me of replacing air pollution with noise pollution!

I've never been a smoker so can't comment with experience about giving up, although I would have thought not buying anymore cigarettes would be a good start. However, I suppose I should chip in something to keep the list going forward. How about:

22. Replace the time you would have used for a fag break with a short meditation / prayer / contemplation break instead. Calm yourself rather than relying on "artificial additives".

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Fifer182
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: 101 tips to help Quit smoking

Just discovered this wee diamond and thought I'd bump it up..

Anybody here quitting/ successfully quitted??? Tips???

Fifer :flower:

weatherwax
Tom Good
Tom Good

I quit 5 years ago, no tips here, I enjoyed smoking, I still have occasional cravings, I stopped because I wanted to, and that is THE only way you can quit (I think),
I didn't tell anyone I was stopping smoking, I gave myself a point to stop smoking, I knew I was going out on the Saturday night, so my last cigarette was in the pub, I kept the half empty packet and kept it to myself for a week, then after that the cravings were terrible, I was grumpy, in fact I was horrible, so I went and got some nicorette chewing gum, which I used for a couple of months and then I came off that because it gave me hiccups.
Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.
My New website www.dreadpirate.co.uk in it's temporary place, with link to new blog

Penny Lane

I had my last cig 8.15am on 18th Sept 2007.
One hour later I confirmed that I was pregnant!

Not the best or easiest way to quit (if you're a bloke you could quit when your partner gets pregnant), but after 100's of attempts it's the only thing that stopped me smoking!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re:

the.fee.fairy wrote:If every smoker was to stop next National Non Smoking Day (what a cheek! I don't see National No Drinking Day, or national No Driving Day) then the economy would fall within a week.
No it wouldn't. I think you must have heard that in a pub.
the.fee.fairy wrote:why is it that drunk people are still allowed to pee up buildings? Why are they allowed to shout abuse and pick fights? Why are they allowed to drop litter? Why does no-one complain that bar staff are under threat from the health implications from someone else's drinking (i have seen noses broken...).
The things you mention are already covered by laws. They could be enforced better, but the public also needs to be braver about policing these things themselves. (If you see a row of drunken blokes all slashing against a wall, try shouting "Hey lads, mind if I have a pee over here?" and watch them all spin around and piss on each other.)
the.fee.fairy wrote: I don't smoke in bus shelters/stops.
Do you remonstrate with people who do? You could try pointing out what harm they're doing to your 'rights'.

I gave up smoking by stopping telling myself I was a smoker, and that an hour had elapsed between my last fag, and that therefore I should smoke another one. I regret selfishly having spoiled other people's enjoyment of food, public spaces, and air. Now I avoid anywhere where people smoke. Smoke bans are at last being considered here too. It'll be grand when it happens.

witch way

I don't get out much these days but I still really appreciate the smoking ban every time I walk into a pub. You see more older people in there drinking coffee and more children and even babies in the out-of-town pubs. This opens up the pub for family time instead of getting sitters. That's got to be agood thing. Being an ex-smoker, except now for the very occasional girly size cigar, I wonder why they didn't legislate for smoking rooms inside pubs? Our Landlady sold up when H&S insisted she built a smoking shelter in the garden and the local planners wouldn't let her.