rabbit recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
2pig2sheep1cow
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

rabbit recipes

has anyone ate rabbet? did you like it?
just wondering as i'm going to get another rabbet soon, to eat and wondered if anyone has any good recipes.
cheers rob. :flower:

Carl H
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rabbit is very good, and an excellent meat for 'homesteaders'. Compared to prime porterhouse beefsteaks, rabbit may be a bit blander and a somewhat drier meat, but young rabbit is excellent when fried and/or served w/a sauce. Older rabbits are often stewed or baked - one French recipe I tried had me marinate the rabbit w/dijon mustard and bake it and I thought it was quite tasty prepared this way.

When we raised a lot of rabbits, I'd often butcher a group of rabbits on the same day and I found it useful to package the hind legs together, a bundle of the loins in another package. backs/ribs in another. Given that arangement I'll refer you this recipe for rabbit loins...wonderful.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/meats/rabbit.html

When in doubt, just use the pieces the same way you'd use a similar cut of chicken and you won't go far wrong. If you're stewing the rabbit, I'd add some canned broth or chicken or veal stock if it's available, it'll add a lot of flavor. My favorite herbs to use with rabbit are thyme & garlic. Rabbit is very lean, sometimes a brief marinade in seasoned olive oil will benefit the flavor as well.

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Rob,

big bunny fans here and you can do pretty much anything with it. If we have allot we just fillet it give the rest to the cats and treat it like any other meat in stir frys, curries or whatever. If you just have one then how about serving it with pasta, here's an Italian one I learned off me mammy. Chop bunny into 6. Heat up large frying pan with olive oil, fry off half an onion and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, bit of pepper, few mushrooms and mr rabbit chuck in a tin of chopped toms and some tomato puree and anything else you'd normally put in a pasta sauce, I just tend to put in what's at hand, a bit of stock or even wine never goes amiss and leave it to simmer for 20 mins. Then serve with pasta and just plonk bunny ontop and eat with fingers, it's no use pussy footing about with utensils and a dead rabbit :lol: Mrs C did one of Jamie Olivers recipies recently which involved chopping it the same way, cooking it in wine and garlic then deep frying it in breadcrumbs. It was devine but she's in bed with flu and I'm not disturbing her.

Cheers, Paul

PS just found it here http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress. ... hat-trick/
and there's also a link on my blog to stoneheads who has a few rabbit dishes of his own.
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

2pig2sheep1cow

sounds good hopefully try the pasta one
cheers.
:cheers:

yugogypsy

Rabbit

How about whole rabbit,stuffed and roasted?

I make a sage and onion suffing and place it in the cavity then sew up the cavity with string-or you can use small skewers and then pop Mr. Rabbit in the oven,covered, at 350'F for an hour or so, depending how big it is.

Remove lid and let brown for last 15 min of cooking.

:cheers: Lois

PS, put 3-4 strips of bacon on top as Rabbit can be dry. Ditto for venison

oldfella
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

We always put in 4 or 5 prunes (after soaking) into all our rabbit recipes as they really do enhance the flavour. Not the the stuffed and roasted, well why not as a side dish?.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

Prunes are great with rabbit - I used to live off rabbit and prune casserole in Kent when we were being given loads of rabbit. I would discarde the front from the shoulders onwards 'cos there's not that much meat, chop the loin and back half into four (two leg portions and two loin portions) and casserole with the prunes, sweated onions, slug of white wine, maybe some garlic, and some chicken stock. Bootiful!

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yes I like rabbit, but I don't like it too gamy (like I don't like pheasant too gamy)

This recipe works well with rabbit or pheasant.

2 rabbit
2 onions (or 4 challots)
4 largish carrots
some tyme, rosmary
some mushrooms (you decide)
optional - bacon.
1 1/2 pints of stock (chicken etc)
1/2 pint of dry cider

dice the onions, and fry in some oil - add some of the bacon (optional) in a cassarol like dish (with lid)

add rabbits (or pheasants), and all the other stuff - season with salt and pepper and then stock and cider (add some water to make sure meat is covered)

put in a pre-heated oven at gas mark 2 (or about 150 degree C) and cook for around 3 hours.

it goes well with mashed potatoes

enjoy.
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton

Cheezy

I get dropped off from a friends father rabbit now and again.

Apart from the usual pie, I made a Greek Stifado, I did the one in Rick Steins Mediterian book, but there's a similar recipe here:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/595628 (ricks had raisins in it as well.)

Also HFW, has quite a lot of recipes, things like, rabbit saddle satay, with the rest of the rabbit it makes great "Bunny burgers"

Italians like rabbit, they have lots of recipes.

I got some 2 weeks ago, and Denny jointed one left one whole but gutted and headless. And he supplied the 2 livers as well. I thought I'd try the liver in one of my favourite chicken liver pasta recipes (antonio carlucci), thinly sliced onion slowly fried in olive oil, add thinly sliced livers, nutmeg , a splash of dry sherry and a squeeze ot tomato purees, salt ,pepper, if the sause is too thick add a little water from the pasta, this is best with long pasta esp. taglitelli.

I was amazed as I though the liver would be stronger flavour to the chicken...far from it if anything more delicate
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

2pig2sheep1cow

you are making me really hungry!
i'm going to have to get plenty of rabbets to try these recipes cheers.
:cooldude:
:roll:
thanks for the recipes.

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Your all making me really hungry too, I've been out almost every night this week hunting rabbit and come back empty handed :roll:

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

QuakerBear

Mr. QB's cooked rabbit. Said it was abit fidely though. He made a fairly bland rabbit soup with a few vegtables then pepped it up with cream and brandy. A luuuuvely winter warmer that re-heats well.
QuakerBear

benner
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I once took a rabbit to a bbq... not for it's company but for the purpose of bbq'ing you'll understand!!!!!

Marinade consisted of the following,

Ginger
Garlic
Chillies
Soy sauce
Honey
Oil (guess olive or veg will do) maybe a small dash of sesame too
Lemongrass or lemon/lime rind if you don't have lemongrass

I Cut it into 6 pieces, straight down the middle of the saddle and front and hind legs. Marinade for a while... a day or 2 maybe and cook on the bbq until done.
The meat was quite dry as I remember, was late and I was slightly the worse for apple juice, Nan and grandad liked it though.
I reckon I might try steaming the meat for an hour or 2 before then marinade it again next time (this works really well with pork ribs too, the meat falls off the bone).
Bicarbonate of soda helps to tenderise meat too... mmm biltong!