basket weaving

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Canework by Charles Crampton is a great book - im selling one of my 2 coppies on TradeMe at the moment.
Ive used NZ flax and Thin split green bamboo aswell as weeping willows that grow at my girlfriends place
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

tell me more about the book or give the link to your trademe auction, i could be interested.
Opinionated but harmless

Bridgette
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I know this thread has stagnated for a while, but does anybody know how to... or know of a link to 'split' green bamboo and weave with it? :lol:

I've got loads of thin green bamboo growing on my plot and would really to do something with it... I've even got some papyrus growing... any ideas? :wink:

Regards
:flower: Bridgette
'Idealism' is a definite energy that harnesses positivity and action, then turns it into something good!

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I would think a sharp knife whilst wearing thick gloves should do the bamboo - but am not sure how easy it is to bend. I know that 'cane' for chair seats is a climber not a bamboo

papyrus is a split, remove pith and flatten job I seem to recall (school many eons ago :oops: )
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I remember seeing a diagram of a cross shaped knife used to split bamboo into 4 quarters, but can't remember what was done with it after that...... :oops:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

and to add more to the confusion - I have a dogwood in my hedgerow and a forsythia, I read somewhere that these can both be used for basketry
My question is - knowing that dogwood is smelly (somewhat like dog poo) when cut - does it keep the smell when dry? Can I use it to make a basket that I could use for gathering/shopping for/storing veggies without the smell lingering?

If it's ok then now is probably the time to cut before the sap starts rising again

basketry or basket case??? My son said - :roll: I might resemble that remark
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: