Got the Signoff...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Got the Signoff...

It's been the aim for a while, but I've finally got the go-ahead to drop some working hours to focus on growing for two or three years.

If I can make a significant dent (25%, perhaps) in our food bill, we'll be no worse off.

Got some mortgage stuff and things to pay in the next 12 months, but Mrs. Viper says I can go down to 4 days a week working and 1 day solid allotmenteering from Spring 22 :)

Whooooooooooooo!
Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)
Seasoned skip-diver and rescuer of broken things, but not a great horticulturalist

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Got the Signoff...

Splendid news, Viper. I think a 25% reduction with more growing/preserving/raising/planning and more judicious shopping etc should be doable. (I'm sure I could knock a fair bit off mine - got a bit lazy over the last couple of years).

Does your allotment allow chickens etc? (You may, of course, not eat meat etc). It would not only boost egg/meat savings but provide manure, thus giving extra savings.

(OH still won't let me keep chickens - I may just have to exercise my overrule button at some point :lol:).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Congratulations! I'd love to reduce my hours. Don't think I'm really fit enough to work full time any more, especially with my long commute. :(
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Just got to run it passed the works management of course. They may not see things the same as the lady in your life Viper.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm confident they will. It's Civil Service, and, although it has it's faults, they're very flexible about working hours and the like.

I am a meat eater and it would be allowed but I don't really want to keep chickens, though I agree the savings would be pretty awesome. I have access to carloads of decent rotted horse manure so I'm quite fortunate on that front!

When I say our "allotment"; I don't have the classic one down on Parksite anymore; ours is behind (but seperate to) the house so I can get away with pretty much whatever I like. I'm really lucky in that way.
Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)
Seasoned skip-diver and rescuer of broken things, but not a great horticulturalist