Country Wines

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
elfcurry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Country Wines

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Weedo - thanks for your explanation. I find facts supported with numbers do help put things in perspective. I didn't think I was at much risk but I feel more relaxed about it now.

You reminded me that I have some very old plum jam which I was given when a friend's mother died. He didn't like plum jam and gave it all ( a number of jars in a box) to me. When I found the stones were still present, I wondered whether the old lady was taking risks. It must still be in a box at the back of the garage!
Last edited by elfcurry on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I think elderberries would definitely grow in SE Dorset. I bet it's one of these things you've never noticed - now you'll see them everywhere. The bark of elders are very distinct so even when they're not in fruit you can earmark a few for later.

A few years back I went with a neighbour to get her car MOT'd. While we waited we went for a walk round the village and spotted an entire row of blackthorn bushes. We grabbed a bag and started picking them. Nearly everyone who passed stopped us to ask us what they were and how we'd use them. Sloe gin was our reply, their eyes lit up.

We've never been back because we figure the locals will all be enjoying them now. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:38 pm

I'm quite fortunate in North Yorkshire we have loads of elderberry trees around, i usually pick 12lb of berries at a time i don't bother with using a fork to get the berries off i use a pair of scissors to harvest them then put them in a big bucket with 2lb of brambles i then pour 10lts of boiling water over them, give them a good mash up cover and leave for 24hrs.
I then strain off through muslin or an old tea towel into another bucket add the juice of 2 lemons 6lb of sugar and 2 sachets of high alcohol yeast or champagne yeast whatever you fancy really,
I then air lock my container and ferment out on a heat mat,
once fermented out rack into another container and keep as long as you can, i give it about 6 months before i cave in :lol:
If you want to do only one demijohn just half the recipe,
Give it a go, and all the best :flower: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ