That's N.I.C.E.

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's N.I.C.E.

I haven't ridden a bike for eons, and I figured things would probably remain that way.I live,these days in a pleasant little town where most amenities can be accessed on foot,and every year the old Volvo charms it's way past the M.O.T. inspectors,ensuring the odd jaunt further afield remains a possibility.

But the N.I.C.E. (special prize for the best suggestion for this acronym) have changed all that. Within weeks, I stand to lose my driving licence,not for misusing alcohol,but something to do with my latest meds.(apparently reviewed year on year).

So on impulse,last week,I spent some money I didn't really have,(ironically a common symptom of that for which I need the meds) on a rather nice looking Dawes bicycle, off an old bloke of 84.

Well today I ventured out.Thank God no-one was around.I have to stand on a kerb,or I can't lift my leg over it!! Eventually,I wobbled off up the road.I'm hopeless,unbalanced,and a menace to other road users.

I know some of you mad Wiggins/ Pendletons out there will be smirking your heads off,but has anyone come back to this after a long lay off?
Does it get any easier?.....shall I just stick the sodding thing on Fleabay?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: That's N.I.C.E.

I'm sure it'll get easier, OJ. It's really hilly round here so when I bought a bike I also got one of those static stands so I could build up some stamina. I certainly got more stamina but it turned out I'd bought a really crap bike so I've not dared venture on the road. So I have no idea if I'd wobble or not - well the rest of me does so why not. lol
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

NIHCE, National Institute for Health & Clinical Excellence.

Jerry on a Bike wobbling around the cobbles like Compo, priceless!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I worry about organisations which drop whole words just so they can have a catchy acronym. However, you'll soon get used to it again OJ - it's just like ... errrrmmm ... riding a bike.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ina

I've hardly been on my bike for almost a decade. I still keep it in hope - but I see too many near misses on the roads around here to dare go out myself. The number 1 national cycle route is along a very busy, narrow, steep road...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

No In - Car Entertainment ?
Now It's Cripple the Elderly ?
Naughty Ice Cream Eater ?
Now I Crave Exercise ?

Dunno, but it doesn't sound nice.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now It's Cripple the Elderly ?

Outright winner!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.